LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build a Setup.exe that makes shortcuts on Windows desktop and quick-launch?

Building an EXE from a LabVIEW 6i application, for distribution to customers, and creating a setup.exe.

I can already create Start-menu shortcuts to the new application that is installed by setup.exe... but can I also create desktop and quicklaunch (the taskbar area next to the start button) shortcuts to the same application?

Can I also make setup automatically uninstall earlier versions of my application?

Also, are these questions addressed in LabVIEW 6.1?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,812 Views)
The LabVIEW installer itself cannot create shortcuts on the desktop or remove older versions of itself. You can create an executable to create shortcuts and have your installer launch that executable. But for more complicated things like uninstalling previous versions, you might want to look into a third party installer like Wise or InstallShield.

LabVIEW 6.1 does not really have any installer features that 6.0 did not. 6.1 does use an MSI installer instead of the previously used Wise installer. Theoretically, one might be able to use a utility like Orca from Microsoft to customize the MSI installer, but editing MSI files will not be supported by National Instruments.
Message 2 of 2
(2,812 Views)