LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build Error: Can't find distribution being built

@Deborah Y wrote:

Sorry for any miscommunication on that last post. Just to be sure, do any of the other machines that you can build it on already have it installed? .

Hi Deborah,

Yes.  There are two similarly configured consoles; they're supposed to run the same SW and perform exactly the same functions.  It's been sort of a ritual to build and test the installer on one station, then run the installer on the other station.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 19
(1,015 Views)

Hi Bill,

Can you take a screenshot for me like the one attached below where you click on your LabVIEW Run-time engine or any of the problem installers in the under the Additional Installers Category? For the Run-time engine or any of those Local Cache extra installers that give you problems, are the Installer source locations (circled in red) all in known, reachable directories? Any differences here between the two similarly configured consoles. Also compare if the two boxes below that installer window are checked (circled in blue)?

Regards,

Deborah Y.

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(1,005 Views)

Hi Deborah,

I was going to send you a screen-shot, but it may be irrelevant since the installer now runs without error!?

It's been a week or so since last working on the station - I don't know what changed.

If it happens again, I'll remember your suggestions and check-out the paths you mentioned.

Thanks/Cheers!

"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(993 Views)

Hi Bill,

I'm glad to hear your application is working! Definitely let us know if any related issues come up.

Thanks,

Deborah Y.

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(985 Views)

I have exactly the same problem as the OP.

In my case:
 LabVIEW 2009 (from 4th quarter DVDs) 32 bit.
 Windows 7 64 bit

Have never specified anything in the registry category.

My app was installed on this PC (using installer generated on another PC) before I ever decided to install LabVIEW on this PC.

On the way to uninstalling LabVIEW to start over, I tried the "repair" option, which itself got to the point of insisting that I supply the distribution for my own app !  But I had only selected to repair LabVIEW 2009.

Right now I have ripped all NI software off this machine (using the official process) and that also suggested uninstalling my application as well (I guess it wasn't going to work any more if the NI runtimes had got pulled off).  This is good thing, as it will give me a cleaner start when I get around to reinstalling LabVIEW.  But it also is a clue as to what is going on in the installer builder's "misguided thinking".

One further snippet: The Installer builder's idea of what was missing was a "tree" of 2 items, my own application, and below that the VISA runtimes.  For sure the VISA runtimes are required in my app.  For sure also they were part of my LabVIEW 2009 install.

This does look like it might be a bug that might bite anyone who puts a LabVIEW application onto a machine, and then subsequently installs LabVIEW to work on the same application.  Not sure if the OPs LabVIEW install was subsequent to the install of app, but he does say his PC has the app installed in its own right.

One question, I had pulled my whole project directory (with .VI, .aliases, .lvproj, .lvps, .ico files) off the PC where I was first working on it, and placed the whole directory onto the new PC in a different path.  Was this naive ?  It seemed to work o.k., the project ran, and the application and installer builder defaulted to paths which were nicely relative to the path where I had placed the project directory.

I probably won't get around to reinstalling LabVIEW today, but when I do I'll post the results here.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(956 Views)

GOOD NEWS

Having uninstalled everything (including my own application) and reinstalled LabVIEW, I now got the Installer builder to run properly.

In the process I answerd my own question above, it seems fine just to pull the whole project directory from one machine to another and run the builders.  I had no reason to expect otherwise, except for the strange experience of the installer builder looking for its own output.

I guess that there's still the possibility that when I run the installer I just built on the same PC, then the next time I try to build the installer the circular reference will be back.  I'll let you know !

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(944 Views)

On second thoughts, I am NOT going to run my installer on this PC.

There's no need, the executable runs fine without installing, that leaves the only purpose of running my installer being to see if it gets me into a mess again.

I don't feel the need to go there, I think I already did enough to show there is a (potential) problem if one:

• Installs a program created with LabVIEW, then
  • Installs LabVIEW, then
  • Works on the original project.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(937 Views)

I also have been having a similar issue as this thread. My installer keeps asking for and old copy of the installation as it is finishing up. Quite annoying as it takes so long to get there. Any advise would be appreciated. I have attached a screen shot of my error message.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(901 Views)

Satguy,

I'd suggest starting a new forum thread and referencing this one.  You're post is much more likely to be viewed if it isn't already replied to, and there is a better chance of getting a quick response from someone that may have seen this error before.

Regards,

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(886 Views)