LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug when pressing Enter in a Free Label?

Solved!
Go to solution

I've noticed that when I'm typing in a free label (on either FP or BD), the "Return" and "Enter" keys behave differently.

Spoiler

By "Return" key, I mean the key on my keyboard labeled "Enter" that is by most of the keys, e.g. the alphabet.

By "Enter" key, I mean the key labeled "Enter" that is by the Numpad on my keyboard.

Different OS's and 

When I am typing in a free label,

• if I press the "Return" key, it inserts "\n" (platform specific, I presume).
  • if I press the "Enter" key, it takes the context focus out of free label (so that I'm "no longer editing it").

Spoiler

How did I discover this?

Personally (right-hand on mouse, with a physical keyboard next to my right hand), I often reach my thumb over from my mouse to press the "Enter" key - for example, to insert a couple "\n"s after clicking the end of a block of text and before typing a new paragraph.

It took me weeks to figure out why I sometimes couldn't insert a new line on my free labels...

Why are these two keys programmed to behave differently? It seems like a bug to me.

I was about to say that if this is a feature, that it should be documented... but then I looked more closely at Creating Free Labels - it turns out it *is* documented, and really is a design feature. Just one that I find unintuitive.

Spoiler
(Lol, I just barely, instinctively, pressed "Enter" twice from my mouse to get a new paragraph again...maybe I'm the only one who types like that.)

So in the end, it turns out I don't have a question (or Idea Exchange post) after all.

I'll still post this so that if someone else thinks they found a bug like me (and is also lazy like me, i.e. they don't carefully read Creating Free Labels), they can understand that it's not a bug, it's a design feature. 😅

-joeorbob

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,191 Views)
Solution

Try playing with this setting if you don't like how it is by default:

BertMcMahan_0-1601502465416.png

Message 2 of 3
(1,161 Views)

@BertMcMahan wrote:

Try playing with this setting if you don't like how it is by default:

OK, confession, I got a little Solution-trigger-happy there...

I was so shocked that there was a setting to adjust what I was trying to do that I was like, WHA-??!!!

But sadly, that setting is not what I want.

To explain, that setting *does* make the "Enter" and "Return" keys behave the same...but it makes them both behave like the "Enter" key, and I want them to both be like the "Return" key.

I'm OK with leaving the "Marked as Solution", it just turns out it's a solution I don't particularly like. 😉

Thank you so much, @BertMcMahan, for teaching me about a setting I didn't know existed.

-joeorbob

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,141 Views)