LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug on Unflatten From String function?

labview 5.1.1
NT4.0

Im not sure why somehow this function cannot unflatten the data from "Get
Control Value" 's invoke node but so far when I try to probe it, there is a
valid data coming out of the Get Control Value and also from Type Descriptor
but nothing is coming out of the Unflatten from String function.

Does somebody sees the same problem? Or am I doing something wrong again?

TIA,
John
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,537 Views)
John Cruz wrote:

> Im not sure why somehow this function cannot unflatten the data from "Get
> Control Value" 's invoke node but so far when I try to probe it, there is a
> valid data coming out of the Get Control Value and also from Type Descriptor
> but nothing is coming out of the Unflatten from String function.

It's confusing, but the "Type Descriptor" output of the Get Control Value method
should not be connected to the "type" input of Unflatten from String. Instead,
the type input must literally be the data type that you expect to emerge from
the right-hand side of the Unflatten from String node.

For instance, if you expect to get an array of clusters out of the Unflatten
node, then you need to wire in a dummy cluster array that matches the expected
output typ
e. If you wire in the Type Descriptor (an I16 array) instead, you are
telling LabVIEW that you expect the Unflatten node to produce an I16 array.
Even if this is truly the case, you should probably resist the urge to wire
these two terminals together, for the sake of clarity.

Regards,
John Lum
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,537 Views)
Thanks John. Everything is clear and working now.

John

"John Lum" wrote in message
news:38D704B4.60BE1DC@alum.mit.edu...
> John Cruz wrote:
>
> > Im not sure why somehow this function cannot unflatten the data from
"Get
> > Control Value" 's invoke node but so far when I try to probe it, there
is a
> > valid data coming out of the Get Control Value and also from Type
Descriptor
> > but nothing is coming out of the Unflatten from String function.
>
> It's confusing, but the "Type Descriptor" output of the Get Control Value
method
> should not be connected to the "type" input of Unflatten from String.
Instead,
> the type input must literally be the data type that you expect to emerge
from
> the right-hand side of the Unflatten from String
node.
>
> For instance, if you expect to get an array of clusters out of the
Unflatten
> node, then you need to wire in a dummy cluster array that matches the
expected
> output type. If you wire in the Type Descriptor (an I16 array) instead,
you are
> telling LabVIEW that you expect the Unflatten node to produce an I16
array.
> Even if this is truly the case, you should probably resist the urge to
wire
> these two terminals together, for the sake of clarity.
>
> Regards,
> John Lum
> National Instruments
>
>
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,537 Views)
I've used this function pretty often, but I've never seen the type terminal
used. What is its funciton?
John Lum wrote in message
news:38D704B4.60BE1DC@alum.mit.edu...
>
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,537 Views)
Denis Jolivet wrote:

> I've used this function pretty often, but I've never seen the type terminal
> used. What is its funciton?
> John Lum wrote in message
> news:38D704B4.60BE1DC@alum.mit.edu...
> >

I think this was covered in the Msg from John Lum.
The "Type" terminal is used to tell the function
what datatype (ie I32 array, DBL, etc) is in the string.
Kevin Kent
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,537 Views)