LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug found when using control references in subVis on Compact RIO?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hallo,

I've a simple task. I want to read out in a Subvi the actual value of an control from a top-level VI. I want to solve this by using a reference to the control.

I've attached a simplified program which shows this.

But the problem is now. When I run the Main VI on a cRIO-Device, the Indicator "DataByReference" is not updated with the actual value. Only when I open at runtime the "RefMain.vi" too, then everything is working fine.

More strange is, when I run the Main VI on the Host-PC, everything is working fine, also without opening the "RefMain.vi" at runtime.

Has anyone an explanation for this behavior?

Thanks in advance!!

Bernd

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,270 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hollaufb

This is not a bug.  See  This for explanation.

Message 2 of 6
(2,261 Views)

Hello,

My name is Dave and I am an Applications Engineer at National Instruments UK.

To help more with your problem I am going to need some more information. As I understand it you want the "DataByReference" indicator to update in the SubVI when the top level VI is updated during runtime, is this correct? If this is the issue then when I tried to run the VI's myself I found that all of the SubVI's updated straight away without having to open "RefMain.vi".

If you reply to this then I will continue to look into your problem. I wish you all the best of luck.

Regards

David B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,260 Views)

@Wayne.C wrote:

This is not a bug.  See  This for explanation.

Agreed! It has been that way since LV 6i at the very least (come think of it there were no property nodes before LV 6i).

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 6
(2,252 Views)

If you're building an executable to run on the cRIO, and you find it frustrating that the compiler doesn't warn you about the use of property nodes, please add a kudo to this idea.

Message 5 of 6
(2,241 Views)

Thanks to all for your help

BR

Bernd

Message 6 of 6
(2,229 Views)