From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Bug?] Windows display settings causes boolean text to overshoot

I built a program and transferred it to a coworker to test. When he opened it, there were several visual glitches including boolean button text and multiple y axis plot issues. After several hours of troubleshooting, I realized it was because I had my graphics settings on my desktop slightly different.

If you right click (Windows 7) on desktop -> personalize -> display, you will see an option to "Make it easier to read what's on your screen".  Default in Win 7 is 125%.  This sets LabVIEW application font to 20 instead of 15 (like 100% and 150%) do.  As a result, it changes the look of your application.

Has this been observed before, and is there a fix?  note:  It also causes visual glitches on within LabVIEW development UI itself. If you look at the "Med (125%)" attached png, you will see that the bottom of Application Font" has been chopped off.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,431 Views)

Hi Bowen,

I can't open your pics, all I get is an error 400…

Your problem is a common one. Changing display settings in Windows has an impact on LabVIEW front panels due to changing font sizes. You have to live with it or you have to account for when designing your front panel!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,413 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi Bowen,

You have to live with it or you have to account for when designing your front panel!

How frustrating. It puts extra arbitrary limits on my GUI design simply based on what graphics settings a user may have selected. Wonder if they fixed it for 2014...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,401 Views)

I can guarantee that it won't be fixed anytime soon.

The fix is that instead of using the Windows fonts for your application (system, dialog, application fonts) use a hard coded font such as Arial 13 or something like that.

You can also add lines to your LabVIEW.ini file (and your application's .ini file if you build it into and .exe) that says the fonts are using a specific font rather than the windows system defined fonts.

Search the forums for Win7 XP fonts and you'll find several threads that talk about this.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,393 Views)