From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brooks SmartDDE communication problem

hi i am student and i also use the brooks 0154

i have protocol for brooks 0154 mass flow controllers see it
I have also a problem i didn t know how to make a VI labview , with the communication RS232 and the mass flow controllers (control read out unit) models 0154.
If somebody have example or already done please help me ....
i get smart dde drivers for control the brooks but i didn t know how programming labview to smart dde ?
AND my smart dde don t work really good

please can i get some help
thanks a lot
haroun_tazieff
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 29
(4,283 Views)
the protocol is too heavy ! gives me your mail i will gives you a link for dowload it
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 29
(4,280 Views)

Hi Haroun.

I am dealing with similar problem with the comunication of my 5850 MFC's and the PC. Could you give me the link to download the smart dde protocol. Thanks a lot. (sheratan61@yahoo.com) 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 29
(4,234 Views)
Hi all,
does anyone knows if its possible to recieve the DLLs file and their relative documentation for the MFC 5850S from the Brooks
so i can develope a VI bypassing the Smart DDE.
I tried to contact the manufactuter but without any luck.

Regards,

Thescar.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 29
(4,162 Views)
Hi, try to contact the manufacturer at one of these addresses:

brooksam@emersonprocess.com
brooksas@emersonprocess.com

I received a prompt answer and they resolved my trouble.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 29
(4,157 Views)
Dear Fabius,
thanks a lot for the suggestion, anyway the message was correctly sent to brooksam but wont send to Brooksas, dont know why.

regards,

Thescar.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 29
(4,149 Views)

I am having some SmartDDE lockup issues for the brooks 0154 as well, what was the resolution on this issue.  I query the smart DDE as well as set the flow of the MFC quite often for a process control.  Now that I have the unit in my process control I am having the SmartDDE crash on me.  The Smart DDE is even worse sincy it can not be restarted since it closes the application but leaves the processes open.  Since this is a seperate application there is no easy communication with the software.  What was the cause of the smartDDE lockups?  Am I communicating with it too fast (add a wait after each DDE call)  the crash recovery will be a bit of a pain to implement since I will have to use an elapsed time to detect if the communication has dropped then kill the processes that the DumbDDE leaves opened, then restart the SmartDDE and continue.  How did others deal with this in the past.  I am using LV7.1 and XP.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 29
(3,791 Views)

Look for an update of SmartDDE.

It may not be able to navigate Brooks software support but the lock-up issue was noted by my customer and it improved after the SmartDDE update.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 29
(3,785 Views)
Thanks I will try this.  I did not want to use the SmartDDE but since the Hart protocol is not well supported in labview the implementation was out of budget for this project.  I am going to pust for fieldpoint and direct communication with the sensors next time.
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 29
(3,784 Views)
" I am going to pust for fieldpoint and direct communication with the sensors next time. "

Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

That is exactly what I did!

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 29
(3,779 Views)