LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring to Front - Programmitcally

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Make the VI FP (or FPs) visible, and then call Application.Bring To Front. Bring to front will not automatically unminimize minimized front panels. Nor should it.

Attached VI will (most annoyingly) force itself upon you every 2 seconds.

It pops up above at least acrobat reader, notepad++ and edge, at least most of the times. Note that if you're working in an application and LV pops up, a click in the current application might immediately send it back.

Doesn't work on my version of Win10.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(1,262 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Make the VI FP (or FPs) visible, and then call Application.Bring To Front. Bring to front will not automatically unminimize minimized front panels. Nor should it.

Attached VI will (most annoyingly) force itself upon you every 2 seconds.

It pops up above at least acrobat reader, notepad++ and edge, at least most of the times. Note that if you're working in an application and LV pops up, a click in the current application might immediately send it back.

Doesn't work on my version of Win10.

mcduff

Same here, Win10.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(1,260 Views)

Weird. I'm also on Windows 10...

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(1,230 Views)

If I am working on a VI, and a window pops up steal the focus, I would delete/uninstall that thing.  It just looks like a virus.  Normal application can't do that.  The MS recommended action is flashing the taskbar icon instead of pop up a window.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(1,214 Views)

Normal applications CAN and DO this all the time. Please look at the video I posted above.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(1,206 Views)

Your video shows a user telling the Skype window to open.  That is a user requested action.  This is very different than Skype deciding, on its own, to always remain in front of all other windows.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(1,195 Views)

On the program I am creating, the user is requesting an action by pressing a button on the Windows quick bar (bottom right, where Skype is).

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(1,188 Views)

"Come to the front when a user clicks an icon in the notification area" is a different request than "Come to the front when the program decides it wants to".

Try this thread for what you're actually trying to do:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Minimizing-LabVIEW-application-to-system-tray-or-running-it-as-a/td...

(As an aside, I can definitely think of use cases for "emergency popups" that come to the front of everything, for example a supervisory control PC monitoring a bunch of machines, one of which needs immediate human intervention, but the potential for abuse is definitely very high!)

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,180 Views)

Thanks for the link. However, the come to front feature does not work with most applications (the aim is for the program to be able to open over other software, and even games). However, the system tray icon works perfectly for an exit button. Is there any way to send the balloon notifications programmatically (not having to press the button)? 

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,144 Views)

Small side track, but I noticed today that VIPM will steal focus from whatever you're doing when it finishes a package installation. I'd guess it's written in LabVIEW, so it seems to be possible to do what you're doing *somehow*.

I also found this thread (might have been posted earlier, sorry if it's a double post):

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Stealing-focus/td-p/2045332

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(1,110 Views)