LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breaking up a large data set

I would like to save a large data set to several files using the Express Write vi.  I tried setting the "save to series of files" option, but it didn't do anything.  Then I read in the LabVIEW 2010 manual "if the input data exceeds the File Termination settings, a new file will not be created until the next time the VI runs."  So I guessed that I need to have the Write VI in a loop.  I put just the Write VI in a while loop, and wired the "saving data" output to the stop terminal.  But then my VI just ran indefinitely, and instead of breaking up the data set, it kept making copies of the entire set in new files.

Attached is a picture of my original VI, before I tried adding the loop.  Any ideas?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,111 Views)

Hi,

You may have a look at the vi attached. This must help you solve your problem.

Regards,

Nitzz

(Give Kudos to good Answers, Mark it as a Solution if your problem is Solved:smileywink:

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,103 Views)

Hi Nitzz,

Thanks for your input, but it is not going to work for me.  Your VI delivers the data to be saved in small chunks, but I will not be able to do that.  My VI will take 1-2 seconds of MHz data, and due to the high data rate, I can't break the data up as it's being collected, I need to break it up as I'm writing it to the files.

Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,091 Views)

You could have the code look at the data arrays, decide how much data you have, and base on a limit that you set it would decide how much of the array(s) to write to a file. So you could index the array to the numer of point that you want to save and then save to a file. Like my example.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,086 Views)

Thanks aeastet, this is a perfect starting point for my VI (at least the data recording part of it)!  Much appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,073 Views)