Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boolean Mechanical Action

Solved!
Go to solution

@altenbach wrote:

@Darin.K wrote:

Of course it is always hard to distinguish between a button remaining pressed and a UI not being refreshed...

In LabVIEW, the latch action button remains ON until it is read by the code, so if things are slow, it could also be that the buttons has not been read yet by the code due to some other slow process.

DIalogs often have also an [Apply] button, which keeps the dialog open. Here it is more easy to tell that it is latch action.

Sidenote: A more interesting distinction is between "latch when released" and "latch when pressed". Latch when released allows a small safety net. If you press down and immediately notice that you pressed it by mistake, you can move the mouse off it and it will not trigger. With "latch when pressed", once you press down, you can no longer change your mind about firing that nuclear missile. ;).

If you've ever used an application using "latch when pressed," it even "feels" funny.  Sometimes the code even fires before the animation of the button press.  Besides giving that "icky" feeling, it's also unforgiving (as you already pointed out).

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 11 of 14
(598 Views)

Can someone POINT out where the correct answers come from, and not just depending on someone's opinions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(380 Views)

Here are 2 sample CLAD exams with conflicting answers. 

The question is what mechanical action simulated a Windows dialog button:

CLAD Sample Exam-2b.pdf : question #31. Correct answer says "Latch When Released".

sample_clad_exam.pdf: question #17: Correct answer says "Switch When Released".

They can't really be correct. I downloaded both of these sample CLAD exams here on the NI site. 

I agree that the correct answer is "Latch When Released", but WHERE can I find the PUBLISHED answers without having to depend on people posting their opinions?

Also, where can I find CLAD sample exams that we can trust?

Thank you, Richard V

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(371 Views)

You've already asked this question and been given answers in this thread. https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/CLAD-sample-exam-windows-dialog-button-mimic/m-p/3898078#M1106109

No need to ask the same thing again in another thread.  Please continue all further conversation in the thread linked to above.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(364 Views)