From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block diagram symbol cheatsheet?

Is there a block diagram symbol cheatsheet somewhere?

I'm a novice and the most frustrating thing for me is the myriad of icons representing variables and their different "types".  I don't mean u16, fixed point, etc., as is depicted here.  I mean shared variables, rings, and other things I don't quite understand yet.  Case in point is the attached image from the FOC FPGA example (that I'll need to use).  

The context help mechanism doesn't help.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(14,712 Views)

I don't know about a cheat sheet.  But here's a few quick descriptions.

A house indicates a local variable

A globe indicates a global variable

Your constant there is a type def (triangle in corner).  I can't really say it is a ring or an enum without seeing the context help or opening the type def.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(14,711 Views)

I found one reference here, by googling.  

http://www.princeton.edu/~mae224/labmanual/labviewreference.pdf

Aside from that, I don't know of a cheatsheet at this point.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(14,652 Views)

Some years ago LV came with a cheat sheet.  It was probably in the LV3 or LV4 era.  The link Andrew posted looks a lot like part of the manuals from one of the older versions.

The LV3 manuals were one of the best set of software manuals ever published.

Lynn

Message 4 of 10
(14,649 Views)

Thanks for googling, but it also doesn't show global and local variables ... and who know's what else I don't know about 😛

It would be nice if the context help were enhanced to include that information.  That context help is a beautiful thing for a novice, but sometimes falls a tad short.  Another funny one is when hovering over a "free label" the context help completely ignores the label (which I honestly didn't know what it was) and instead describes the surrounding structure (e.g. while loop).

Steve

Message 5 of 10
(14,646 Views)

That is some excellent feedback.  You should consider putting that here on the Idea Exchange.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(14,644 Views)

Done.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(14,640 Views)

Well, I don't consider a bad thing that the help is light regarding local and global variables. For a novice I would recommend not to use either. Learn how to use data flow effectively. A mistake many novice make is to use lots of global/local variables and end up running into lots of race conditions. Learn how to use data flow correctly and there is very little need for variables.

I realize this doesn't address your original question regarding the cheat sheet but it nevertheless is sound advice for a beginner in LabVIEW.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(14,620 Views)

Mark,

I appreciate your experience and have already steered clear of local and global variables after reading other material, but I think the context help should at least identify the construct being used.  I shouldn't have to post to a forum to understand what a symbol represents.

Steve

Message 9 of 10
(14,611 Views)

@maherhome wrote:

Mark,

I appreciate your experience and have already steered clear of local and global variables after reading other material, but I think the context help should at least identify the construct being used.  I shouldn't have to post to a forum to understand what a symbol represents.

Steve

I agree that the help file should contain more information. My comment was more sarcastic than literal. The advice however was given in good faith.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(14,608 Views)