cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block Diagram is not working properly

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all, 

I am trying to built a VI (64bit LabVIEW 17) but when I add something more block (like a graph or another case) then the when I scroll in the block diagram the. 

Please see the picture attached so you can understand what I mean exactly. 

I also attached the VI so you can have look at it. 

I would really appreciate some help, as I struggle with this for days. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 26
(4,486 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author akara

Hi akara,

your block diagram is just too big!

Right now it's already 31888 pixels wide…

Solution/hints:

- Clean up the VI until you get the block diagram down to screen size!

- When you want to implement a state machine then you should not use a huge flat sequence…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 26
(4,471 Views)

O boy... That is not how to make a LabVIEW program**. But it still shouldn't crash.

A few remarks\questions:

+ Without all Sub VI's it won't run.

+ When does this "crash" occur? In other works, how can we (try to) replicate it?

+ The diagram coordinates are stored as I16's. Chances are you exceeded a limit. In a good version of the VI, select all code and move it to the left or right. Might help for a while but it will not solve the real problem.

** You know how to make a sub VI. Why have you copied all your code over and over again? You can (and should) format those cursors in a sub VI you know. Have you done some free courses? Don't want to interfere with what is obviously your business, but you'll probably get really frustrated about LabVIEW really soon, and it wouldn't be LabVIEW's fault.

Message 3 of 26
(4,462 Views)

Hi GerdW, 

Thanks a lot for your reply. 

I do not understand how I could make the block diagram smaller?

Could you please elaborate?

Thank you again. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 26
(4,435 Views)

>I do not understand how I could make the block diagram smaller?

Have you done the free courses?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 26
(4,429 Views)

>I do not understand how I could make the block diagram smaller?

Also make some sub VI's and try to do the repetitive stuff in a loop (for loop, state machine). As already suggested.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 26
(4,425 Views)

@akara wrote:

Even CTRL+ALT+Drag on a few places would reduce the size of your diagram.

Message 7 of 26
(4,422 Views)

Hi wiebe@CARYA, 

Thanks a lot for your reply. 

The crash occurs when I just add more steps with graphs into the flat sequence then when I just scroll in the block diagram window the result you can see in the screenshot occurs. 

-What do you mean by moving all the code to left or right?

-How is it possible to make a subVI for the cursors while they are for different graph, I will need to create a property node of the different graphs, I do not understand how I could do that in a subVI. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 26
(4,420 Views)

akara wrote:

State Machine

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 26
(4,417 Views)

@akara wrote:

The crash occurs when I just add more steps with graphs into the flat sequence then when I just scroll in the block diagram window the result you can see in the screenshot occurs. 

So this is very likely because you exceed the maximum diagram size.

@akara wrote:

-What do you mean by moving all the code to left or right? 

CTRL+A to select all, then use SHIFT+Left or SHIFT+right to move. Note that this might get you some extra space to extend the code a bit, but it's not a solution.

@akara wrote:

-How is it possible to make a subVI for the cursors while they are for different graph, I will need to create a property node of the different graphs, I do not understand how I could do that in a subVI.  

You can still make a Sub VI that has the cluster as an input, modifies it, and outputs the cluster. The input and output to the Sub VI can come from the same property nodes you have now.

But you can also (do some courses and) use a control reference, or a cursor reference. This will make the properties of the graph or cursor available in the Sub VI. If you select a property node and then "Create Sub VI", it will automatically create a Sub VI with a reference to the control.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 26
(4,412 Views)