LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Biomedical Toolkit. Read Image.vi and Write Image.vi not working with LabVIEW 2019 64Bit. LVDICOM.DLL not loaded

Solved!
Go to solution

I use the Biomedical Toolkit to read uncompressed DICOM images.

This works very well in LabVIEW 2019 32-bit.

In the 64 bit version the LVDICOM.DLL is not loaded and the subVIs "Read Image.vi" and "Write Image.vi" cannot run.
When downloading, NI states that the Biomedical Toolkit is suitable for both the 32-bit and the 64-bit version. But that's obviously not true. Or is there a 64-bit version of the DLL?

Many thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(1,645 Views)

Copy/paste the toolkit map from 32-bit version to 64-bit version.

Might not be the most elegant solution or a proper one, but it usually works.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(1,639 Views)

Hi AeroSoul,

Thanks for your answer, but what do you mean by "map"?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(1,604 Views)

I meant folder, locate the driver in C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments (my path, yours might be different) and just copy it to C:\Program Files\National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(1,597 Views)

I honestly do not understand that.

In "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\Driver Deployment\Maps" is not an xml file that refers to the Biomedical Toolkit.

Which file should be copied? And solves a copy/paste action the problem with the LVDICOM.Dll?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(1,593 Views)

Did you install the tool kit before you installed LabVIEW 64-bit?  If you did, you probably have to install the tool kit again so it can "become aware" of LV 64-bit.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(1,576 Views)

No of course not!
I've been working with LabVIEW for 25 years (started with version 3).
So these are the basics. First LabVIEW then the addons.
Everything works fine under LabVIEW 32Bit, but the DICOM functions do not work under LabVIEW 64Bit.
It's best to try it out yourself!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(1,569 Views)

@PietH wrote:

No of course not!
I've been working with LabVIEW for 25 years (started with version 3).
So these are the basics. First LabVIEW then the addons.
Everything works fine under LabVIEW 32Bit, but the DICOM functions do not work under LabVIEW 64Bit.
It's best to try it out yourself!

I have no idea what your experience is, but I do know an AH when I see one.  You'll get no further help from me.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(1,559 Views)

Wow that's a great answer Bill.

Not very collegial, very unprofessional, and moreover insulting.

(I hope AH is not what I mean, if so, you have no business here). 

No idea who you are, but that's not how you treat each other.

Maybe I expressed myself wrongly. I am not a native speaker

I just made the suggestion that you try it yourself to see what the problem is.

I think it's a shame, but maybe that's the case nowadays. 😞

With best regards

Piet

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(1,536 Views)
Solution
Accepted by PietH

@billko wrote:

@PietH wrote:

I have no idea what your experience is, but I do know an AH when I see one.  You'll get no further help from me.

Dear colleagues, please don't be so aggressive.

My humble and friendly recommendation - after many years experience you should be a little bit more detailed with problem's description (LVDICOM.DLL is not loaded is not comprehensive report), and its always good to give a practical try before making any suggestions and guessing.

Anyway, today morning I've installed this toolkit and found similar issue.

Bug report should looks like this:

Installed NI Biomedical Toolkit v.15.0.0.5 under LabVIEW 2020 SP1 64-bit v.20.0.1.

Observed two problems:

At the first - the path to LVDICOM.dll in bmt_LVDICOM Image Read.vi seems to be wrong:

Screenshot 2021-05-08 07.31.01.png

The second problem is that when path was corrected manually, then LVDICOM.dll still can't be loaded, because of bitness - this is 32-bit DLL:

Screenshot 2021-05-08 07.32.27.png

Technically we can't convert 32-bit library to 64-bit without the sources, but I have found this topic:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Biomedical-User-Group-Documents/How-to-use-Image-File-IO-VIs-in-64bit-versi...

I replaced the LVDICOM.dll from the message above and it seems to be OK (at least I have seen correct dimensions of the DCM file, but don't ask me why Tag List is empty).

Screenshot 2021-05-08 08.14.25.png

Not sure if this Library from older toolkit version is fully compatible with the latest one, but this is question for authors of the toolkit.

Hope it helps,

with best regards and nice weekend wishes,

Andrey.

Message 10 of 14
(1,527 Views)