From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billing system

Hi! 

I would like to start to implement a billing system. I've never done it before and I need some advice how to start it in LV. Does anyone have any experience about Billing system / document generation / database and so on.

About databases, I clearly now the basic *.dat files can not be used for this purpose. Any suggestions or links where and how sould I start? 

Thanks in advance!

---
+++ In God we believe, in Trance we Trust +++
[Hungary]
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,228 Views)

Hi Durnek,

The answer to you question could probably fill several shelves of a well stocked library, Before you consider how to implement your billing system, get a clear understanding of what the completed application has to do. Once you understand that you can look at what the right tools are for the job (e.g. Should you use LabVIEW, or an off the shelf solution?). If we take you use case, a billing system, the application will probably need to support the following operations:

• Store account details
  • Issue invoices
  • Record payments and deposits
  • Report generation
  • etc.

There is a formal methodology for understanding what the application needs to do and it typically results in the creation of two documents, a Requirements and Use-Case document. Each one helps define what the purpose and functionality of the application is. If you want to learn more about the this process there are a number of books available. I am currently reading Object-Oriented Analysis and Design, published by Head First. Don't be put off by that It uses Java for coding examples and focuses on object oriented design. The principles are exactly the same for any programming environment, including LabVIEW. Object-Oriented design can also be applied to programs that are not created using OOP principles (which LabVEW can do if you want).

If at the end of all this all you want to do is learn a bit more about the basics of accessing databases and other types of functionality from LabVIEW, I would check out the ni.com web site for tutorials and examples. 

Let me finish by saying that I am self-employed, use LabVIEW daily and send out bills/invoices all the time. Did I write an application in LabVIEW to implement a billing system? No, I bought a copy of Quickbooks. It does everything I need, plus the developers are the expert in their field and it would take me years to create as good an application 🙂

Have fun with LabVIEW. 

Message 2 of 8
(4,221 Views)

i have done the front panel such that the dataset required for billing.

but i need to generate an invoice, fetch data and get data and finally need to generate bill with tax, item tin no entry and product item entry... finally i have to print the bill 

how can i proceed sir

can u help me out.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,121 Views)

You've created a bunch of front panels.  Nice.  (By the way, be sure to give all your controls names and make their labels visible on the block diagram so you know what each terminal is for.  Right now most of your terminals have no labels showing, and if you make them visible, you see the labels are blank.)

Now your problem is to figure out how all of this is supposed to work.  We can't help you on this.  You need to sit down and start writing out a flow chart to show what will happen each step of the way.  DCorney wrote up a nice message earlier to give you some ideas where to get started.

Is this homework for school?  Is this your first LabVIEW program?  Is this your first program for any programming language?  If so, I'm afraid you've started on an overly ambitious project.  You need to step back and work on simpler more manageable projects that can help you hone your programming skills.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,100 Views)

ya thankyou!!

sir actually i am dealing with my final year project which is speed acceleration control in vehicle. also done 4 simulation in 

labview, regarding my friends project also i m developing one game. some what i will b able to do something in Labview.

other than this i heard developing billing is possible only in VB and .net 

so i am trying to develope billing in LABview which interfaced with RFid.

I don no weather i could complete it 

I need the procedure to start. Is this possible. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,092 Views)

Thanks for responding. I was struggling to formulate an appropriate response. 

David C
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,076 Views)

It is certainly possible to do this in LabVIEW.  It might even be easier to do in LabVIEW then in VB or .net.  Your first step is to figure out what your progam is supposed to do and how it is to work.  It doesn't matter what language you are going to try it in.

Start with a blank piece of paper and start writing down some structures and a flowchart.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,061 Views)

ya sure i will be preparing it ..

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,050 Views)