cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big size LabVIEW VI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey,

I have a very big VI (test_connecting.vi) with included subVIs (Comparison.vi). But I can't connect at the end of VI's block diagram the In Place Element Structure output array with For Loop right shift register inside terminal and save the VI!

Can anyone connect and save the VI?

Cheers,

Evita

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 29
(4,474 Views)

Hello VUC,

i can connect but also not save.

Is the intention to sort the array?

best regards
Alexander
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 29
(4,452 Views)

I think your loop should look like this:

Sort1DArray.png

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 29
(4,447 Views)

This VI is to check the sorting algorithm and later on to be implemented in FPGA, but FPGA doesn't support Sort 1D Array in Target.

So now I am stuck with the LabVIEW VI size limit.

Evita

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 29
(4,436 Views)

Evita,

the array has to be sorted ascending/descending? Your code currently only swaps even pairs (e.g. index 0 and 1) but not uneven (e.g. index 1 and 2). This does not look right.

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 29
(4,430 Views)

For now it doesn't matter what if the sorting is correct.

The problem is LabVIEW dealing with big size VI. Now and then I come back to this problem, but having no successful results I always have to think about alternative solution.

This looks strange that it is impossible to save VI after connecting one wire.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29
(4,419 Views)

@VUC wrote:

For now it doesn't matter what if the sorting is correct.

[...]

Uh, well, but that IS the main problem here. Your code is overblown and leads to issues. Not only functional ones... (e.g. readibility!)

If you don't provide information about what the sorting is about, nobody can help you to implement a more efficient (and MUCH smaller) VI to perform the sort.

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29
(4,406 Views)

My question regards LabVIEW capabilities not algorithm implementation.

Is there a size limit for LabVIEW functionality?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 29
(4,400 Views)
Solution
Accepted by crossrulz

Yes, LabVIEW has limitations in the size of the block diagram and the front panel.

However, I am not sure if your issue is connected to exceeding the limits. I would rather think that the pure amount of subVI calls are the source of the issue.

Why my question on the algorithm is important is because this is how an ascending sort in "brute force bubble sort" would look like:

Brute1DArrayBubbleSort.PNG

EDIT: Updated screenshot to be correct. Previous had some issues in the boolean logic for termination.

Norbert
Message 9 of 29
(4,391 Views)

Thanks for this suggestion, but as I said before, it is planned to be implemented in FPGA, thus the execution must be as parallel as possible.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 29
(4,354 Views)