LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to upgrade from 2011 to 2012

Hi:

What is best way to upgrade LabVIEW 2012 from LabVIEW 2011 ?

a) Install 2012 over 2011

b) Remove 2011 and then install 2012

Thank You!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,638 Views)

Hi GE,

as LV2012 still is in beta state you should probably use a different computer than is used for your productive LV2011 environment Smiley Wink

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,634 Views)

Also be aware that you are not allowed to discuss the beta in public forums. This was part of the beta agreement. Post your questions in the beta forum.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,632 Views)

While the question specifically references LV2012, which isn't out yet, I still think it's a valid question: What are the pros and cons of doing an upgrade vs doing a clean install?

Personally, I'll probably do a clean install and start from scratch. This is because I'm currently using LV2010, and also have 2009 and 8.6 installed. Getting rid of those three will be nice to clean up my hard drive, and I'll be able to set it up exactly how I want to (I'm the only user at my company, so I don't have to follow any conventions). It will be a bit of work to transfer over all my custom VIs to a new palette and to install ones from VIPM, but that's work I'm willing to do.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,611 Views)

Hello:

My disk were marked 2012 but its really LabVIEW 2011 Service Pack 1

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,602 Views)

@dthor wrote:

While the question specifically references LV2012, which isn't out yet, I still think it's a valid question: What are the pros and cons of doing an upgrade vs doing a clean install?

I never said it wasn't a valid question. All I said is that according to the beta agreement, anything discussing the beta version cannot be discussed in public forums. That's quite explicit in the agreement.

And the question wasn't a generic question, but was specific to LV2012, which as a beta, usually entails special consideration when installing. Which should be discussed in the beta forum.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,596 Views)

LabVIEW versions (not including service packs) install side-by-side.  There should be no problem installing a new version of LabVIEW and keeping the old one.  Uninstall the old one only if you have absolutely no use for it anymore and you need the disk space.

For a service pack installation, it should be fine to install the service pack over the existing version.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,594 Views)

@ge Osmonics wrote:

Hello:

My disk were marked 2012 but its really LabVIEW 2011 Service Pack 1

So are you referring to the service pack that was distributed in the year 2012, or are you actually referring the LabVIEW 2012 (which is in beta)? It sounds like you're talking about the former, which has nothing to do with LabVIEW 2012.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,588 Views)

Hello:

My Disk were hand written as 2012 developer suite.  I have since found out they are actually  2011 SP-1. Sorry!

Message 9 of 15
(3,581 Views)

Beta being discussed in public? Whew - smoke, but no fire... Thanks for the clarification.

A good read, for those new to upgrading and review for old hands: Upgrading to the Latest Version of LabVIEW

Roy

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,572 Views)