LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best for scrolled list?

Hi,
This might be kind of vague but its worth a shot. I need to be able to display messages as they come in (i.e. kind of like a table b/c each message has several parts to it) and also to be able to select a particular message for further action. I was just wondering what are some of the functions/front panel objects that I should look into. Basically what will let me see several messages on the screen at the same time yet allowing me to select a particular one and know which one is being selected (dynamically),
Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,297 Views)
Helper,

This is where your ability as a designer comes into play.

How you handle output to a user is all a matter of style. What you should do is to dream up a way of doing this. Another option is to find a real world example that best fits what you want this to look like, and then try to apply it.

Implementation is then a simple matter of programming, something that you can seek help for here. Trying to get style tips from this forum can only result in as many opinions as replies.

That is my suggestion. If you can't find something you like, make something up. Experiment, have fun. If this is a paid project, then ask for your client's input (they always appreciate that) If its for an internal project, either follow the standards (if there are
any) for this type of situation, or make up standards.

When coming up with solutions, be creative, but remember the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid). Remember, you are writing this program for someone that doesnt know how to program. You have to keep things at a level where the user won't be overwhelmed by the complexity.

If you are still having trouble with this, I would suggest going to a good technical book store (or the library, imagine that!) and getting a book on User Interfaces, GUIs, or something similar.

Good luck
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,297 Views)
Helper,

As a suggestion, start with a Multicolumn Listbox. This will allow you to have a message tag in one column and the message itself in another. If a user double-clicks on a particular row, you can do something from there. Just a suggestion.

Randy Hoskin
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/ask
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,297 Views)
I need to do something like this myself so i have knocked together a crude vi for you using a multicolumn listbox (see file attached). Follow instructions on the front panel to see it working. Hope it gives you a start..

Kim
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,297 Views)