From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best communication method between LV Application

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Together,

I'm looking for the best communication way between two LabVIEW Applications. As VI is clear, I can use a Queue or a global variable and so on.

But what is the best, when I compile the VIs later to DLLs or Applications. Till now we always use TCP/IP, but I think there must be a better way instead of this.

So if anybody has an idea - it's very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Markus

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,633 Views)

And what is wrong with TCP/IP? The advantage of network communication, that at the first you can communicate with "non-LabVIEW" application, and second, you can communicate across the network.

For pure LabVIEW<->LabVIEW communication you can use

- VI Server

- Shared Variables

- DataSockets

Andrey.

Message Edited by Andrey Dmitriev on 02-19-2010 02:52 PM
Message 2 of 5
(2,629 Views)

What I don't like with TCP/IP that you always need a second thread (while loop) who handle the TCP/IP communication. I thought that there must be an easier way.

I also thought that shared variables are always limited to one application. Thanks for the ideas...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,620 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Traxx

Traxx wrote:

What I don't like with TCP/IP that you always need a second thread (while loop) who handle the TCP/IP communication. I thought that there must be an easier way.

I also thought that shared variables are always limited to one application. Thanks for the ideas...

That second loop is a loop that YOU control. If you go with shared variables you are a slave to whatever they can or can not do. Besides, they run on top of TCP/IP so it is not out of the picture.

Its your call,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,613 Views)
If both applications are running on the same machine, you can use the normal LabVIEW interprocess communications (e.g. queues, notifiers, etc.) provided you launch them into the same runtime.  This will save you memory (only one run-time) and time (only need to launch the run-time once).  If you are unfamiliar with the technique, check out this post.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,562 Views)