LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being Able to change the name of the vi in a project

Hi All

I an having some bother with a vi I am working on. Every time I make a significant change to he code, I try to save it as another name (different number). Recently I have lost the ability to do this ? 

If anyone has any advice on this or has an idea what could be causing this issue I would greatly appreciate any guidance. 

Best Wishes and many thanks 

Andrew 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,021 Views)

@AndrewIons01 wrote:

Hi All

I an having some bother with a vi I am working on. Every time I make a significant change to he code, I try to save it as another name (different number). Recently I have lost the ability to do this ? 

If anyone has any advice on this or has an idea what could be causing this issue I would greatly appreciate any guidance. 

Best Wishes and many thanks 

Andrew 

That's a terrible substitute for using versioning software!  But I suppose that is outside the scope of your topic, so... what is your workflow to do this?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,010 Views)

Hi Bill

Thank you for the reply 

My work flow is to save the vi and its dependencies in a project file. When I make a change I save the vi as (XYZ (n)) (n is the version number). 

Im not sure if this answers your question or not? 

Best Wishes 

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,007 Views)

@AndrewIons01 wrote:

Hi Bill

Thank you for the reply 

My work flow is to save the vi and its dependencies in a project file. When I make a change I save the vi as (XYZ (n)) (n is the version number). 

Im not sure if this answers your question or not? 

Best Wishes 

Andrew

Yes, I think that is good enough.  So I assume that you use this choice:

billko_0-1620060758913.png

That should work.  I don't know what happens to the old file, though, because I've never tried this before.  Does it still stay in the project, but are no longer referenced?  This is just about my curiosity; I don't think it has anything to do with your problem.

I would highly recommend using versioning software (if you aren't, already) because all these things you are doing manually can be handled automatically, and you can have a real file history without having to constantly rename files.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(975 Views)

The question was more specific.  Think of it this way:  When you try to do this, there are things in LabVIEW that you interact with.  Mostly by typing or clicking. When you're done, you expect the LabVIEW and your files on disk to be in a certain state.

Just saying "I have lost the ability to do this" tells us basically nothing.

Describe each step you take along the way in LabVIEW to do this, and especially the step where you would either like to click on something but you can't, or where you click on something but get an error message.  Or if you can click on everything in every step along the way and get no error messages, but also don't get the results you expect, describe the lack of results in detail as well.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(974 Views)