From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic questions for RS232/422/485 & Modbus

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

i have to write some libraries for four types above.

But, i only have a normal windows-computer with a normal serial-connection.

Do i see it correct that can then only make "RS232" with this and that 422 amd 485 are then "special" serial-cards?

So for me it seems that 232/422/485 are three different hardware-types.

And only Modbus is a software-protocol that can be created with labview.

Is this correct?

Thanks for help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,406 Views)
Solution
Accepted by OnlyOne

RS232/422/485 are hardware specific.  Many RS422 UART cards out there will also handle RS485.  Luckily, most of these cards just show up as a COM port, so the software is the same for all 3.

According to Wikipedia, most Modbus devices use RS485 as the hardware layer.  I will admit that I have no exprience with Modbus, so I'm not going to offer any advice on it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 7
(3,400 Views)

You will definitely need either a plug-in card or an external module to get RS-422 and RS-485. Nowadays most computer don't even have serial ports anymore, and those that do are RS-232. RS-232 is single-ended. RS-422 is differential, and was designed to extend the range of RS-422. RS-485 was an extension that allowed for true multi-drop applications (where you can have many devices on a bus, and any one could be transmitting/receiving).

From a software perspective, as crossrulz indicated, it would all appear as COM ports.

Message 3 of 7
(3,395 Views)

Concerning MODBUS,

you can find a Labview library here:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/4756

It's old but does its work...

And here a good tutorial on this protocol:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/7675/en

Regards,

Marco

Message 4 of 7
(3,383 Views)

You can keep the single RS-232 serial port, and get an external converter for 422 and 485.

Message 5 of 7
(3,365 Views)

Marco,

I just downloaded the library zip file and there are folders named 71, 82, 85, 86. I have a labview 2010. Which one works for me?

Thanks

Rgds,

Harry

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,288 Views)

Harry.W wrote:

I just downloaded the library zip file and there are folders named 71, 82, 85, 86. I have a labview 2010. Which one works for me?

Those folders are typically for the LabVIEW version.  Just use the 86 one since that would be the latest (LabVIEW 8.6).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,285 Views)