From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ball and Beam Conrtol Help

I am making a ball on beam project. I just wanted to know how to make a unstable transfer function function. the ball on beam model is 0.21/s^2 and i want to make it stable so that i can control it using pid. please help me out in this problem . Im writing the code in labview Rt.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,215 Views)

Is this an algorithm question or a programming question?

Is this a real ball/beam or a simulation?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,192 Views)

real ball on beam not simulation. I want the solution for both algorithm and programming.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,190 Views)

the ball on the beam model, has a squared "s" in the denominator, which means it has two poles at zero. If you want to create an unstable model, you can achieve this by a positive pole in the denominator. This can be interpeted in that a constant force or perturbation will lead to an ever increasing output.

Example:

1/(s-1)    Pole is: s=+1  Positive therefore unstable pole.

1/(s^2)    Pole is: s=0,0  Zero, similar to rigid body motionm which is nowhere attached

1/(s+1)   Pole is: s=-1   Negative therefore unstable pole.

With your controller you essentialy bring the poles of the entire system (loop of plant & controller) in the negative regime. A good tool to test such loops is in Simulink, but in Labview, using a while loop is also an option.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,128 Views)