From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background image not changing

I am trying to change the background image of the VI to a custom picture and its not working. I am right clicking the horizontal scroll bar -> background -> then browsing to the image I want. The first time I tried it worked. The picture was way to big to I set it back to normal and now it won't change at all. It just creates a dashed box on the screen almost like the image is there but invisible. Anyone else run into this issue?

I have tried restarting labview, restarting my computer and even trying the same method on a entirely different labview file.

Message 1 of 11
(4,956 Views)

What is your LabVIEW version? How big was the picture? Does it still work in a new VI AND with a known good different picture? Can you attach the VI containing the "dashed box"? What was the image type?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,940 Views)

I am using Labview 13. The picture was 3.26 MB (3200x4000), type JPEG. It does not work with a new VI. I've tried different pictures and even the default pictures (like cloud) and those don't work either.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,935 Views)

I just had the exact same issue. I'm running LV15 and I noticed that I had my minimum pane size set bigger than my image. The default for is Width 1 Height 1. After resetting to this value I was able to carry on.

Otherwise messing with the C://Program Files/National Instruments/Labview 2015/resource/backgrounds folder may cause issue. I deleted all images I put in there as well.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,809 Views)

I've got the same issue, with LV 2013.  My project has several VIs with background - they all still work.  I tried to add a new one to the RESOURCE \ BACKGROUNDS folder and it craps out.

Right-click Scrollbar

Properties

Backgrounds

Choose

Apply

--- I get nothing but a selection rectangle on the VI.  If I use the arrow keys, it moves the IMAGE of the front panel (scrollbars and all) up or down, and the selection rectangle moves the OTHER WAY.  Hit the DELETE key and it's crash time with ACCESS VIOLATION.

If I throw away the LabVIEW.INI file, it still fails.

If I removed the BACKGROUNDS folder - it will still list the pictures that were there (it must cache the names somewhere, even after a restart), but the preview doesn't work and the behavior is unchanged:Trash.PNG

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,712 Views)

To be clear, it no longer works with the default images either.  Something has been corrupted.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,710 Views)

Here is a JING which shows the behavior after:

Quitting LabVIEW

Removing LabVIEW.ini

Removing the Backgrounds folder from the RESOURCE folder.

Deleting VIObjCache\ObjFileDB.vidb

Restarting computer.

Restarting LabVIEW.

Creating new VI

Calling up PROPERTIES.

JUST CANCELLING the thing is enough to bring on the weirdness.

JING: <http://www.screencast.com/t/DZychhb4>

I just tried a VM version of LV2013 that I know never had any new pics put into the RESOURCE\BACKGROUNDS folder.  Choosing a pic works OK (it sets the background correctly) there, but CANCELLING then hitting DELETE will still cause a crash.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,705 Views)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information. I just had the same issue with LabVIEW 2017.

However it was resolved with only the following steps:

Quit LabVIEW, 

Go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2017"

Delete or Rename the LabVIEW.ini (instead of deleting it, so as to have a Backup)

Start LabVIEW 

Ahmed Zahran

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,607 Views)

Hi Micahkurtz,

@MicahKurtz wrote:

I am trying to change the background image of the VI to a custom picture and its not working. I am right clicking the horizontal scroll bar -> background -> then browsing to the image I want. The first time I tried it worked. The picture was way to big to I set it back to normal and now it won't change at all. It just creates a dashed box on the screen almost like the image is there but invisible. Anyone else run into this issue?

I have tried restarting labview, restarting my computer and even trying the same method on a entirely different labview file.

Besides my last post to just delete the LabVIEW.ini file from the Program Files path and it will be created again once you start LabVIEW, I wanted to add the following information, in case you want to add custom backgrounds in the future:

1. As normal, Save your customized image within the size of 600 x 600 under the following path:

"D:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2017\resource\backgrounds"

2. Create a new Text file with the same name as the image file.

3. Write the same name as well inside the text file and save it.

Check the attached Snapshot

This was tested in LabVIEW 2017 and it is working fine without any conflicts 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,602 Views)

Thanks for the tip, Ahmed, but as I said above, that didn't work for me.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,593 Views)