LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUG with File Path Browse Button

Hi,

I am using LabVIEW 2011 SP1 running in Windows 7.

I have a Path Control with the Browse Button visible on a front panel.

In the browse options, I have selected ‘Allow selection of files in LLBs and packed project libraries’

For the Selection Modes, I have Files or Folders and Existing selected.

When this VI is run in the LabVIEW Development System (2011 SP1) the Browse Button works as expected and displays the top level Vis in the Packed Library.

main.png

When this VI is run in the LabVIEW Development System (2011 SP1) the Browse Button works as expected and displays the top level Vis in the Packed Library and returns the full path if the selected VI when the OK button is pressed.

Browse into PL.png

I have built the Main VI into an executeable and when this is run the browse button doesn’t display the dialog window when selecting the .LVLIBP file to browse into.

explorer window.png

Is this some sort of bug in LabVIEW 2011 SP1?

If it is a bug, has it been fixed in a later release of LabVIEW?

I have attached a small example to demonstrate the problem.

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(9,051 Views)

Can confirm that the issue is present in LV2012 (opened project, ran main.vi - selected .lvlibp and the LV browse window appeared. Built executable and no LV browse window).

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(9,029 Views)

Works in the dev environment.  No dialog at all in an executable.  Test done with LabVIEW 2014, Windows 7.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(9,020 Views)

Thanks crossrulz and Sam_Sharp for trying this out in LabVIEW 2012 and 2014.

I was hoping there was going to be a working solution.

But I think I may have a method by using the Get Exported File List VI and Get Exported File Path VI so that I can present to the end user the ability to select a top level VI  from a Packed Library.

regards

Ray F.

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(8,994 Views)

CAR 495434 has been filed to R&D to track this issue.

George M
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(8,970 Views)

I was looking in the known issues for 2016 to see if this has been resolved. I haven't got access to 2016 yet so can not check my self. Can someone confirm the status?

regards

Ray Farmer

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(8,140 Views)

I tried to run in LabVIEW 2016.  The program references C:\Program Files\test common\Common.lvlibp\add.vi.  On my system, there is no "test common" folder on C:\Program Files (was I supposed to create this?).  In the files in Test package, there are no packed program libraries (.lvlibp).  There is, in the Common folder, a Common.lvlib, but that's (as they say) a Horse of A Different Color.

When I have something I want to run from both Development and Build modes, I generally create a Data folder in the Project where I place the "data" that will eventually go in the Data Folder in the Builds.  I have a VI called something like "Find Data Folder" that checks the Execution Mode -- if it is Development, it looks for the Data Folder in the Project, and if Run Time, it looks for the Data folder in the Build.  This way, I only need to specify the file name and not worry about the folder.  Note that the two Data Folders are referenced by the File Constant "Applicion Directory".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(8,117 Views)

Bob_Schor,

Thanks for trying but I dont need a leason in LabVIEW. All I was looking for is whether the CAR has been fixed.

All I wanted to know was whether it's possible to browse into a packed library when using a labview application.

Build the packed library.

Build the application.

Run the application and use the browse button to search for the packed library in the build folder. (ignore whats orginally in the control.) If its working you should beable to browse into the packed library and select a VI.

regards

Ray Farmer

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(8,108 Views)

This is not fixed in 2016.  I build the packed project library (from common) in 2016.  I then ran main.vi from 2016 and was able to browse into the lvlibp.  I then made the EXE from the main.vi, but it would not allow browsing into the file.

Message 9 of 12
(8,093 Views)

ok thanks

regards

Ray Farmer

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(8,087 Views)