LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUG: Gauge resizing

Hi,

I've tried to locate someone that has experienced the possible bug that I have come across but not succeded. It is apparent in both LV8 and LV8.2. The issue is related to re-sizing the gauge panel object programatically. I have attached a vi (LV8.2) that shows this behaviour. As long as the gauge is set to larger it is ok but resizing it up and down multiple times will make it look ugly. See pictures attached with before (ie re-opened from disk) and after (moving slide up and down a couple of times).

Anyone?

Regards /Chris

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,592 Views)
I've never had any need to resize an indicator programmatically, but I agree that you found a bug here.

Since the bug seems to depends on the resizing speed, it looks like a race condition somewhere. (Move the slider very slowly to the top and back, and the result looks much better than if you do the same very fast).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,569 Views)

Dear CG99,

I have seen this bug in the last LV Versions too.
Its in LV since LV 7 but I have a VI from LV 5 that
makes intesive usage of resizable gauges and
repositioning of controls.
All I have heard of from NI is nothing. They are
just adding new features and none does the
homework.

This is more and more common at NI.

With kind regards

Martin Kunze

KDI Digital Instrumentation.com
e-mail: martin.kunze@digital-instrumentation.com
Tel: +49 (0)441 9490852
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,539 Views)

Thank you for confirming this to be a bug and not due to my programming skills. I have checked the behaviour in both LV6.1 and LV7.1 although 6.1 behaves better it is still faulty. I guess LV6.1 arrived some time 2002! so it should have made it way by now to become a priority....

Looking forward to NIs reply. /C

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,525 Views)
This is not just limited to the "normal" gauge. The classic gauge and the meter indicator (classic and "modern") show the same problem.

Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
--------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,519 Views)
I agree this is a bug.  In fact, if you have LabVIEW configured to investigate internal errors on next launch, you will probably see that a non-fatal error occurred in size.cpp next time you close and re-launch LabVIEW.

This was reported to R&D (4657S01W) for further investigation.  Unfortunately at this time I am not aware of a good workaround.  If anyone finds one, please post it here.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,498 Views)
I think that you have found a bug, but there might be a workaround for you.  If you write the width and height of the gauge as a cluster instead of individual elements you will find that you will have _much_ better results.  Here is a modified VI that shows what I mean:

Message 7 of 8
(3,403 Views)
I agree the workaround has a better result, although not to a professional level. With the introduction of LV8.5 I had my fingers crossed, BUT I have tried the same in LV8.5 and the bug has still not been corrected....
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,181 Views)