LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUG Block diagram cleanup fails completely? Generates very bad results

Well, if you find this is a problem you encounter regularly with code you are writing, there is definitely a problem -- and its not with the BDC.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 11 of 52
(1,047 Views)

@billko wrote:

I can only guess that he doesn't mean that they literally break, but that they make some funny turns even when they apparently don't need to.

No, they break.  I have had cases where BDC will leave dangling bits of wires.  It was a really ugly diagram (not mine).  I have been getting used to BDC as a quick way to make reasonably readable code.   It has its oddities but it does save a lot of moving things 1 pixel at a time.

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 52
(1,026 Views)
Does it break connections or does the wire still connect in the correct places, but with extra bits of wire hanging loose?

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 52
(1,018 Views)

The instance I had, I think it was dangling bits.  But there may have also been completely isolated bad wires with no connections at all.

I don't think it broke any connections BUT the diagram I used as a massive test case was some of the worst programming I have ever seen.  It was about 5 X 6 large screens but wires and icons were on top of each other and completley unreadable.  The system kept setting and reading values through properties and must have had horrible race conditions.  When CBD got through with it, 5 minutes later, it was about 20 X 30 screens in size but at least the wires were visible.

It was a stress test of BDC and yes it has been passed to NI as an example of a BDC that fails.  These should be given to NI so that they can find these weird edge cases and fix them.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 52
(1,009 Views)
Excellent. Thanks for the added info.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 52
(996 Views)

@sth wrote:

The instance I had, I think it was dangling bits.  But there may have also been completely isolated bad wires with no connections at all.

I don't think it broke any connections BUT the diagram I used as a massive test case was some of the worst programming I have ever seen.  It was about 5 X 6 large screens but wires and icons were on top of each other and completley unreadable.  The system kept setting and reading values through properties and must have had horrible race conditions.  When CBD got through with it, 5 minutes later, it was about 20 X 30 screens in size but at least the wires were visible.

It was a stress test of BDC and yes it has been passed to NI as an example of a BDC that fails.  These should be given to NI so that they can find these weird edge cases and fix them.

I think there is actually a limit to how big the BD can be:

Maximum Size for Front Panel and Block Diagram

You are probably very near it and weird things happen when you get close to it.  I'm guessing the BD coughs up a hairball in that VI for the same reason.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 52
(978 Views)

@billko wrote:
You are probably very near it and weird things happen when you get close to it.  I'm guessing the BD coughs up a hairball in that VI for the same reason.

Might be.  I doubt that was the problem but that some where there are wire "loops" that got left dangling.  However that article is LV 7.1 and we might have moved to 32 bit canvases since then.  That seemed to be a signed 32 bit number for the window size.

I will check it out.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 52
(966 Views)

Do you see where it says "Fixed: N/A"?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 52
(956 Views)

Just a guess but you may be showing an apparently blank label that is far from the object it refers to.  Hit ctrl+A and look for ants marching out in space. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 52
(951 Views)

@billko wrote:

Do you see where it says "Fixed: N/A"?

Yeah, but NI never updates these things.  So even if it was fixed, it just means that when the page was written that they had no fix date.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 52
(940 Views)