From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avi with compression plays faster

Hi,

I'm acquiring video with 1411, and I used IMAQ Create with the Cinepak Codec by Radius filter for compression.

The problem is that when I use the compression, and then go play the avi in windows media player, the movie goes much faster than normal.

Anyone knows the reason?
If remove the compression filter it plays fine.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,986 Views)
Are you compressing the AVI in "real time" as you are acquiring it?  In that case, you may be missing frames.  That would explain the faster playback.  You could record initially uncompressed and then post-process to compress.

Also, check out the Motion JPEG (MJPEG) codec from Matrox.  It looks much better than Cinepak.

Dan Press
PrimeTest Automation
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,977 Views)
Yes, I'm compressing the AVI in real time.

Are there any examples of how do I compress the avi in the end?
What VI should I use?

Right now, I'm setting up the codec in the IMAQ Create VI.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,968 Views)
Here's an example of how to compress an existing AVI file.  It ships with the IMAQ Vision Development System.  I assume that you are using that since you said you are using IMAQ Create.

...LabVIEW 8.2\examples\Vision\2. Functions\AVI\AVI Compressor Comparison.llb\AVI Compressor Comparison Example.vi

Dan Press
PrimeTest Automation

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,952 Views)
I tried to do the compression in the end, but I get the same result. The compressed movie gets played much faster.

I've included a snapshot of the compression in Labview. I copy frame by frame to a new avi with compression.

Thank you!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,935 Views)