From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-wire bug when dragging/dropping?

Hi everyone

I just found out that if I have this diagram:

before.png

and drag/drop the "equals" into the case structure, the auto-wire function will create a new input tunnel to connect the constant there. The shift register will then be void:

after.png

I think it should be normal behaviour the leave the shift register wiring as it is.

Is this a known issue?

Greetings!

Message 1 of 13
(3,013 Views)

I seem to remember some wizard speaking about similar issues.

But I am limited in what I can say.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,007 Views)

What version of LV are you using?
In LV 2016, if I drag the equal function inside the case structure, it disconnects and breaks the line. And yes, I do have auto-wire enabled.

Autowire.PNG

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(2,977 Views)

Not breaking a wire when dragging a function across boundaries is a feature added to one of the more recent versions of LabVIEW.  Either 2017 or 2018.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(2,974 Views)

@BrotherTom wrote:

Hi everyone

before.png

and drag/drop the "equals" into the case structure, the auto-wire function will create a new input tunnel to connect the constant there. The shift register will then be void:

after.png

I think it should be normal behaviour the leave the shift register wiring as it is.

Is this a known issue?

Greetings!

I found the other place where I saw this issue and there was not a good demo of that problem so a CAR was not generated for it.

I flagged a moderator to get an AE to look at this because I was able to duplicate that VI and saw the same bug.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 5 of 13
(2,967 Views)

I really don't care for auto-anything in LabVIEW.  It never seems to auto-whatever the way I expect it to.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 6 of 13
(2,962 Views)

@BrotherTom wrote:

Hi everyone

Is this a known issue?

This is a known issue being tracked by CAR 718913

Message 7 of 13
(2,949 Views)

Agreed on the auto-things not behaving as desired. I've been adding this collection of keys to labview.ini to try maintain a less automatic and much snappier development environment. Info on each key can be found in this github gist.

LiveDrag=False
LiveSelection=False
DragAutoWire=False
SmarterAutomaticTunnelCreation=False
AutomaticShiftRegisterCreation=False

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
Message 8 of 13
(2,925 Views)

Hi folks

Sorry for replying so late!

Indeed it's a pretty new feature. I use LabVIEW 2017 and cannot remember this feature in older versions.

Good thing that a CAR has already been registered. I haven't found anything of it, neither in the web nor in the forums.

Keep up the good work!

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(2,894 Views)

I hate the 'Maintain Wire Connections' bug (NO!! IT'S NOT A FEATURE, IT'S A BUG!!).  I wish I could turn it off.  Even in those cases where it would be handy, I don't use it* because it tends to rearrange wires idiotically.

* I copy then delete instead of moving.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,877 Views)