LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attach vi's in defined version

Hi all

As one might know there are different versions of LV in use and not everyone uses the newest version.

Often there are attachments in some topics I'd like to look at, but in the end I can not 😞 because of the version (I use LV7.0, which is not that old). I'm sure that there are others with the same problem.

I would find it great, if we all could decide to attach vis in one version. If one still uses an older version of LV than the version determined to attach vis, he could attach vis without any problem. The other way round - ok, here the problem remains - it must be explicitly declared that he uses the vi in an other verion.

Maybe it could also be possible (as in the LAVA forums) to add an indicator about the version in use. (Yes, maybe NI could improve user-information ;))

What is your opinion?

Thomas
Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
Message 1 of 6
(2,739 Views)
Hi Thomas

Yes it can be frustrating. 😠
If you look at this thread it's been suggested by Ben that a "Convert to LabView Version" facility be added to the site.
But you're absolutely right, a workable solution is needed.
I guess a convert utility would only work one way though, converting older VIs to newer ones since newer VIs may contain new functionality for example Express VIs than won't be available in older versions.
Perhaps, as you say, a version identifier is a good way to go.
It'll be interesting to see other opinions.

Cheers
Neil
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,728 Views)
Hi Neil

I already noticed that point but I think its rather a mid- or long-term solution, although it would be a really great functionality.

I think the need for a solution exists and it would be appreciated, if this "problem" could be solved in a short term.

Thomas
Using LV8.0
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,726 Views)
For a quick solution the message needs to get through to NI.
I'm not sure whether postings on this board are routinely picked up by NI.
If a "blue bar" replies I guess we'll know. 😉

The other thing maybe to post it on the Feedback Forum.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,720 Views)
Hi,

Perhaps this post would have a stronger impact if posted in
"Feedback on NI discussions forum" page. I'm sure Molly or other people from the NI Web operations department would be glad to comment on that and be aware of this legitimate remark.

Regards,
Cyril Bouton
Active LabVIEW Developper
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,715 Views)
In my opinion, every poster should state which version of Labview they are using. Then the repliers could post vi solutions in that version if they are able. Maybe NI could add a drop down list that forces the poster to select his version of LV before posting. However, this will not solve the problem of a third person wishing to view the vi if he/she doesn't have that version. It is not really practical to have a common version to post vi's. Some still use 5.1.1. This version does not have Express VIs nor does it have the event structure. At present, if a person wants to view a vi that is in a newer version, he has to post a message requesting that someone convert it down to his version. It is a bit inconvenient, but the request always gets granted by one of the very nice people that are in this forum.
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
Message 6 of 6
(2,691 Views)