LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are these symbols intuitive?

@billko wrote:

I still have an issue with the skip step.  In my mind, it's a tie between "skip" and "step over" - but I have absolutely no idea how to remedy that.  Every symbol I can think of that fits one will fit the other as well.  (Except, of course, text that says "skip".)

Off-topic:

Click on the picture to open it in the forum viewer.  What the heck is THAT???  Too small for me to read, but is that Korean?  And no matter what it is, why doesn't it match what is embedded in the post???

I know what it is - it's a low-res picture and the text is so badly rendered when on a dark background that it takes quite some squinting to realize they are, in fact, letters.

In my usage, "Normal Run" steps over.  Keep in mind that these are modes, not SST buttons.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(988 Views)

I think they are too small to be useful. I am also not sure what's wrong with your image, because it looks weird when clicking on it. (strange colormap? transparency?)

altenbach_0-1587054036267.png

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(980 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

I think they are too small to be useful.

In my opinion, while small, the symbols are still pretty useful because they are all visually distinct. Even if I couldn't remember a lot of the specific details of the symbols I think I would be able to quickly recognize every symbol after a few minutes using this program.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 13 of 22
(970 Views)

I don't think you could ever make an interface without documentation, but all this would need is a little cheat sheet that most people will reference just a few times before they get the hang of it.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 14 of 22
(967 Views)

I would love to have larger symbols, but MCLB symbols are limited to 16 x 16.

As for the image, I copied the control from a FP, then pasted it to an editor and saved it as a .PNG

Here it is as a JPG:

Symbols 3.jpg.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(961 Views)

I agree with Jacobson. They are useful. I like it when developers take the time to make interfaces intuitive and helpful!

I often tell my operators that if it hard or doesn't make sense, then I did something wrong.

And that is why I went on a rant over the LabVIEW Icons.

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(955 Views)

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

I think they are too small to be useful.

In my opinion, while small, the symbols are still pretty useful because they are all visually distinct.

Looking at them on a bigger screens helps. Originally I was using a small hight resolution laptop. 😉

Also, my browser was set to 80% zoom, which I tend to forget. 😉

altenbach_0-1587062081871.png

Yes, it's important to keep such small icons very simple. One of the problem is the use of color, which is of course great to make them distinguishable, but OTOH, posed problems for users that are colorblind.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(945 Views)

Now I need a small button.  I want to keep it small because it goes in a cluster that's inside an array.

Is this too small:

obd.jpg

Can anybody figure out what that's supposed to do?

Spoiler
It's for opening a block diagram
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(893 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

Now I need a small button.  I want to keep it small because it goes in a cluster that's inside an array.

Is this too small:

obd.jpg

Can anybody figure out what that's supposed to do?

Spoiler
It's for opening a block diagram

I think it is too small.

I don't know how much you could improve it though.  Make sure you have some sort of tool tip with it.  The key thing is that even if it isn't truly legible, as long as it is distinguishable enough from other buttons, that once people learn what the button does they will be able to associate it with its action and click on it.

But I think there is so much grey on that one, I'm not sure how distinguishable it is.

Maybe  a simple box with the letters BD in it.  I wouldn't be graphically pretty, but It should be easy to associate with its function.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(888 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

Maybe  a simple box with the letters BD in it.  I wouldn't be graphically pretty, but It should be easy to associate with its function.

I was thinking maybe a small "Add" primitive (just a teeny yellow triangle with a plus sign). It's pretty recognizeable. I'd also give it a white background (like the block diagram) rather than a gray one (like the front panel).

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(884 Views)