LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arbitrary digital waveform generation

I am a new Labview user and I am trying to generate about 8 or more lines of digital outputs. The problem is these outputs are kind of arbitrary. We will need resolution of about 0.2 ms and these outputs will last for 6s or so.

Currently we have a PCI-6229 multifunction card and using Labview.  Is it possible to do what we need with this? I know it can be done with either 6533 or 6534
card with pattern generation.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,708 Views)

Hello ultracold,

You are in luck!  The M Series devices can do correlated digital output, so it is possible to hardware-timed digital output.  You will have to use an external clock for the sample clock.  You can use your counters to generate the clock if you want.  

Helpful examples to look at for the digital output with external clock are found in the Example Finder in LabVIEW at Help >> Find Examples >> Hardware Input and Output >> DAQmx >> Digital Generation.  Particularly look at Cont Write Dig Port - Ext Clk and Write Dig Chan - Ext Clk.  To get an idea of using the counter for a sample clock, you can look at the example Multi-Function-Ctr Pulse Train Generation for AI Sample Clock which is found in the Synchronization >> Multi-function category.  Basically, you set up your pulse train on one of your counters and then specify the internal output of the counter for your sample clock.  Make sure to choose a rate for your counter that will allow you to have the resolution that you need.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Laura 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,687 Views)
Thanks a lot. I think I have some idea now but still strugglingf.
I may come back with more questions.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,676 Views)