LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application compatibility across cRIO-targets (specifically cRIO-9063 vs 9064/5)

Will a LabVIEW RT application built for one cRIO-target be able to run on a different type of cRIO-target as long as the OS and processor architecture is the same?

I have for example an application built for the Linux RT ARM-based cRIO-9063, and now I need to do a change and test it...but right now I only have the Linux RT x86 based cRIO-9030 available, so I am unable to use that as a platform to develop, test and build a new application for the 9063...However, let's say that I get a cRIO-9064, which is Linux RT ARM-based too - would the application be cross-compatible with 9063 (meaning I could copy the application straight from the 9064 to the 9063 and it would run OK)?

For now I do not have any code running on the FPGA so that's not an issue here, but if I did, would that part be compatible? Is there a compatibility spreadhseet/overview somewhere that shows any of this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,791 Views)

As far as source code is concerned it mostly even works between different cRIO types. For precompiled resources including rtexe and packed library files its usually best to add a new target to the project for this build.

In fact if you use packed library files we found that LabVIEW will behave very badly if you have multiple targets open at the same time that make use of the same packed library built for different target types. It's not just for targets inside the same project but even if you open two projects each containing a target for a different architecture but using the same named packed library (of course with the correct path for the directory to look for the correctly build packed library in each target).

For some reasons LabVIEW remembers the location of the packed library used in a VI and will insist on loading it from there no matter what, which sort of makes the use of packed libraries for multiple targets pretty cumbersome.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,760 Views)

This time I'm only concerned about the cross-compatibility of built applications. In other words: Which models of the hardware can run the same executables...

(The development issues like the locking of libraries/classes in projects referring to multiple targets is a real bummer, but one that I'm painfully aware of already...).

But thanks anyway RolfSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,740 Views)

We handle up to 6 targets in one project for years. I know not a single executable that would be compatible to another target.

As already mentioned each target needs its own build.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,726 Views)