LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application builder fails on labview 2022 professional

Application builder generates a .exe, but shows a broken run button and displays an unnumbered error message stating that I need the full development system,  but I have professional- the version that contains app builder license.  What to do next?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(874 Views)

@jwilk wrote:

Application builder generates a .exe, but shows a broken run button and displays an unnumbered error message stating that I need the full development system,  but I have professional- the version that contains app builder license.  What to do next?

Your message is simply stating that you cannot debug the exe from the Run Time environment.  If you left debugging enabled in the build specifications you could remotely debug the exe from the IDE.

Most likely, the exe itself is broken because a dependency is missing from the build or could not be found in the expected location.  The broken run arrow does indicate that the exe could not compile to a runnable object.

Check for dependent vis called with absolute paths and dlls that are not in the global cashe.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(868 Views)

@jwilk wrote:

What to do next?

Now you need to start troubleshooting. Unfortunately we cannot really help because the information you gave is way too sparse.

• Were there any errors or warnings during the build?
  • If you enable "Generate build log file", is there anything interesting?
  • What does the program do?
    • Just some standalone math?
    • Interact with external hardware?
    • Do you use external toolkits or drivers?
  • Do you create subVI references by name in the program? What are the paths?
  • Do you "always include" any dependencies that cannot be determined at build time.
  • If there is a "data" folder generated next to the exe, do you keep that with it?
  • Can you troubleshoot a little further if you enable debugging?
  • Is the exe already broken in the original build location or only after you move it to a different computer?
  • ... so many questions!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(846 Views)

Thanks for the replies- will check on suggestions in the morning . . .

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(807 Views)

No errors in running the application builder. debug is off in the build. the executable comes up broken and produces the attached message when I click on the broken run button.  I also attached the build log, did not see anything that looks like an error, and again, the build process seems to run just fine.  I'll have to do some digging to look into dependent vi's and absolute paths, etc.  I guess that is the next order of business . . .

Another project I have (different code) compiles just fine, so I'm guessing licenses are all in order, not due until May.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(788 Views)
  • no errors during build, debug is off
  • nothing interesting I can see in build log
  • program reads an ECG device binary data file, decodes it, then displays plots and metadata.
  • no hardware, makes one call w/database connectivity toolkit to write to an MS access database file (.accdb)
  • no sub vis called by reference
  • running exe from the folder it was originally generated in.
  • I'll have to dig on other questions, program is big and a few years old - runs perfectly in the LV environment.  This is the first time I've needed to share with others, so have never built into an exe before.

I do see an NiDaqMX reference in the data folder - not sure exactly why at the moment - need to trace that down.  It looks like a scaling file I use in other programs that use my Keysight 34465A DMM - must be some common vi that uses it.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(786 Views)

Well, turns out after a mass compile, a new error showed up:

jwilk_0-1681242120109.png

In the interest of time, I just disabled all calls to report generation and the .exe now works.  Not sure exactly why, but heading out of town tomorrow and this vi can do without report generation for the near term.  Thanks to all for assistance tracking it down . . .

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(732 Views)

Not sure if this is related.  Actor FW has the X node "error ring" as a dependency.   Sometimes X nodes cause ludicrous problems.   Google ludicrous ways to fix broken LabVIEW Code.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(716 Views)