From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application builder 8.2 : lvanlys problem

I am experiencing the following problem when trying to make an installer of my LabVIEW executables in LabVIEW 8.2. I have 2 applications, both depening on lvanlys, which should be installed to the same folder. Both applications are build targets inside the same project file. If I add my first build target, and then try to add the second one, I get a message that data/lvanlys.dll is already present in the installer. No problems there since this is true, BUT this plainly keeps me from adding the second application to the installer. If I try to remove lvanlys from the list of installer files to prevent this problem, my first build target disappears again. So I am a little stuck. Is there any work-around ?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,397 Views)
The goal is to have on the target machine a single installation directory with two executables in it, right? How 'bout building one of then - call it AppA - into an executable, but with no installer. Now build the second one - called AppB - with an installer and include AppA.exe in the build as a support file that gets stored in the installation directory?

AppA should run fine as long as all the external code (like lvalys.dll) is also used in AppB. If they aren't you'll need to add them into too.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,391 Views)
This is the way I do it know, and off course it works. It only means I have to add the output from one build to the project explictedly. I originally just tried to add both exe build targets directly to the installer build, but this poses the problem. I can also understand the logic : what if both build targets used different lvanlys.dll files ? But it is minor inconvenience anyway, especially since we normally put all files in the project under source control. Off course we want to avoid putting the exes under source control, since this causes only the potential for version issues (no installer should be built before the individual targets are built, which is not possible in the original scenario).
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,387 Views)