LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Builder over wrote my Main.vi with an example vi?

Solved!
Go to solution

Do you have the exe of the VI you want?

If so, you can read through this link. (On the third page there is a video that shows how it is done.)

But it may not be easier than restarting, depends on your hacking skills

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 33
(486 Views)

Hello McDuff. 

I actually sat up for the entire weekend and rewrote the code that I lost.  Thankfully, I was able to get it done. 

However, I am still having issues with Application Builder.   

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 33
(460 Views)

What you wrote is fairly equivalent to what I do.

I write my VIs first then create a project with it.

I only open the Main vi. I then create a new project.

LabVIEW pulls in all Sub Vis into the dependency side.   

So, now I am back at my original issue.  My program is complete.  I cannot seem to get it built properly.  I have opted to build the vi 20+ times now with various vi properties (checked and unchecked).  Problem is that my Sub Vis are not coming up.  

Upon opening the exe, the Sub Vis are not called.   

I read through forums that it is possibly a Runtime issue?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 33
(457 Views)

@BK75 wrote:

So, now I am back at my original issue.  My program is complete.  I cannot seem to get it built properly.  I have opted to build the vi 20+ times now with various vi properties (checked and unchecked).  Problem is that my Sub Vis are not coming up.  

IMO you should unlearn this habit right away!  You don't build the house first and make the blueprint last.  Start with the project first and fill it in with VIs as you go.  For namespacing, I always have at least one library within the project.  As you develop your VIs, place them in the appropriate virtual folders and libraries.  Any subVIs get added to the project as dependencies if they are not already part of the project (and this is where they should go, since if it were part of the project, you would've already added it).  By doing it this way, you will avoid the headache you are having right now.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 14 of 33
(437 Views)

@BK75 wrote:

So you are still doing it wrong and still having issues?  Go figure...

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 33
(434 Views)

Thank you RTSLVU. 

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 33
(433 Views)

Billko, 

I agree with your analogy of having blueprints before a house.  

So, in future ventures, I can open a project and just start writing.  Even If those plans never come to anything and I delete them. 

I started with LV 7.1 and progressed to 8.5.    Company was broke and never upgraded.  I never had a problem previously like this. 

So, obviously LV has gotten better over time.  

Consensus... Do I just delete everything and start over opening create a project and stay up another week w no sleep?

Or, is there a work around?

Seriously, not trying to make anyone mad on this board.  I have started over twice on this project and cannot build and exe that works.  All of the vis work properly. 

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 33
(429 Views)

Maybe my logic is ...not logical.  

If a Main Vi is opened up and a project is created from it, LV automatically pulls in all Sub VIs into the project as a dependency.  

The Main Vi is dependent upon the Sub VIs.    

Obviously this is NOT the way LV works even though it tries to work this way by opening up the Main and puling the dependencies.  

So, apologies for trying to do things on my own and NOT ask questions on a community board but...I don't understand how to get the Sub VIs to work with the app build so I read and asked questions and still do not understand.   

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 33
(427 Views)

@BK75 wrote:

So, now I am back at my original issue.  My program is complete.  I cannot seem to get it built properly. 

I assume application builder finished building the application without errors, right?

@BK75 wrote:

Problem is that my Sub Vis are not coming up.  

Does the build application run at all? Does it throw an error?

What does 'are not coming up' really mean?

- Should the sub VIs show the front panel when loaded or called? There is a property in the application builder to remove the front panel from a VI (Source File Settings), which is checked by default if the VI is not a top level VI.

- Are the sub VIs on the block diagram or are they called dynamically?

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 33
(402 Views)

@billko wrote:

IMO you should unlearn this habit right away! 

I disagree. While there are various good reasons to start with a project, the process described by BK75 should generally work and is not wrong.

I agree that projects and SCC should be used, but I think this entire discussion is a red herring and the current important thing is why is the build not working. Uli's questions seem on point.

My initial guess would be that the VIs are called dynamically by path and are simply not included in the build, but it could also be a matter of front panels being stripped, etc.

Without code, it's pretty much impossible for us to tell.

Things which can help:

1. Posting the code or at least more details on how it works
  2. Adding error handling
  3. Stripping it down to a simple example with one subVI and seeing what happens there.

(396 Views)