LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Builder comes up with generic error #42

Building a large application that has previously built without a problem in LabVIEW 2009 SP1. 

The error message returned is -

"Error 42 occurred at D:\EMSolutions\Automation\PTMP\System Measurement Functions\System Measurements.llb\PTMP - Tx Performance.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  Generic error."

Would appreciate some clues as to what might cause this error.

Herbert Niesler
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,689 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,678 Views)

I read the various posts suggested and then tried the short names suggestions with no effect.  As I had previoulsy been able to build this project I reloaded a version that had previously built.  It still built ok.  So I then tried changing some of the build names and destinations, to the ones in the troublesome project, and still had no trouble.

So went back to the troublesome project version and it now built properly!  In the whole process I had restarted LV a couple of times.  Maybe that was the magic ingredient.  Can't be sure.  Thats my working theory and I will test it out next time the problem appears and will post up any further discoveries.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of those posts.

Herbert Niesler
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,661 Views)

Have had it happen to me again and managed to play around a bit and found the following -

1.  The error 42 occurs in relation to a Start Up vi (I have multiple startup vi's in this project).  Doesn't happen to any other vi.

2.  If I remove the offending vi from the project, the error 42 then occurs on another startup vi.

3.  Putting that vi back in and making it a startup vi again triggers the problem with that vi.

4.  Then I opened the offending startup vi (note that the project was compiled with all startup vi's closed).  On building the application the error 42 occurred on another startup vi (the same vi as happend in 2.).

5.  When I opened this 2nd offending vi and did a build, I had success.

Now I realise I have not seen the problem before because I usually did a build with all the startup vi's open.  Its only recently that I have started doing builds with all front panels closed.

So advice at this stage is - open the front panels of your startup vi's and that should get rid of the error 42.

Herbert Niesler
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,650 Views)

Thanks for sharing that!!!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,647 Views)