cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Builder-built Installer Hangs

Solved!
Go to solution

All,

One customer got back to me this morning. He resolved the problem by disabling his anti-virus software (I don't know which one he is using - I'm trying to find out), as I had suggested to him. I'll wait until I hear back from the other customer before flagging this as a "solution".

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(670 Views)

@Edjsch wrote:

All,

One customer got back to me this morning. He resolved the problem by disabling his anti-virus software (I don't know which one he is using - I'm trying to find out), as I had suggested to him. I'll wait until I hear back from the other customer before flagging this as a "solution".

Ed

How long did the initial customer wait before giving up on the installer? It may be that it would have worked fine, but his virus scan was making the process incredibly slow. I have seen virus scans make installers that would usually only take a few minutes take hours.

Regardless, many things could cause an installer to hang - it is usually related to something custom in your particular deployment, so generic advice won't really be helpful. If the virus scan doesn't resolve the problem for all customers, your best bet is to find a machine where you can replicate the problem, then start removing components from the installer one by one until you get it to work. 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(658 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Edjsch

I'm not sure on exactly how long the customer waited before giving up on the installer. When I asked him he said something like "a while". I pressed him and he said at least 15 or 20 minutes. In my book, that's more than anyone's limit. But, yes, I have seen virus scans on CD's, for example, take an hour or more.

My installation is with the basic Application Builder settings. It scans the vi and knows what components to add. In my case it's just VISA support.

I'm 80% confident its anti-virus is causing the problems. Remember in the "old days" most installers advised you do disable your anti-virus software when installing their software? I almost never did and never had a problem. But now it seems anti-virus programs are getting much more aggressive. After my initial post, we heard from another customer who was having installation problems. It wasn't the same issue, but the install didn't work. And that was on Windows 7. (Haven't resolved this, yet. I'll keep the forum updated.)

These installation problems are relatively recent, so I'll bet the issues are caused by anti-virus software. Thank you for your post. 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(652 Views)

I want to wrap up this issue of the installer hanging at Step 1 of 24. I posted that there were 2 reports of this behavior from customers within a couple of days of each other, which is why I suspected the cause might be due to a Windows 10 update. It turned out not to be the case. As I previously posted, one customer determined that it was definitively due to anti-virus software.

I am not 100% sure of the cause for the second customer (but I assume that anti-virus software was the cause). (But I hate to assume, but have no other choice here because the customer has moved on.)

This is what that customer did to get it working (which admittedly is a little strange): He had an older PC that my software was working on, and he was trying to install it on an new PC when he got the "installer hangs" problem. So he manually copied files and folders (NI’s/LabVIEW’s and mine) from the old PC to his new PC but my exe still would not launch run (because it wasn't completely "installed", I'm sure). But then he told me he ran the installer again, and then it worked. The installation completed and my program launched and works correctly. End of story. That's all I know.

My best guess is that the installer might not have had permission to copy files or folders (maybe or maybe not due to anti-virus software) and got stuck. But since it verified that the files were already present, it didn't try to copy them, and was able to complete the installation, registering DLL's etc., which allowed the program to launch and run.

In the several weeks that have passed, we have not had any problems. All I can say is that my LV8.5 programs work just fine on Windows 10 Creator update edition.

Cheers! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(618 Views)