From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Builder Language selection

While building an Installer, I go to the Languages and Uncheck the "Any Language" checkbox, which allows me to also uncheck the various language options.
However, after building the installer, and looking at the Installer directory, I see what looks like language option files, whcich are clearly marked "xxxxDEU.xxx"..."xxxFRA.xxx" etc.
It was my assumption that these optional language files would NOT be included in the installer.
Is this a bug ?
Would it matter whether or not I select the Run-Time Engine?

I'm using LabView Version 8.20

DOK
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,444 Views)
Hey DOK,
    If you do not include the Runtime engine, does it still include those files?  What are the exact filenames that appear to be language option files?  You are correct in that if you uncheck "Any Language" these files should not be included in the installer.
Brian B
Account Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,432 Views)
DOK,

There are 2 language settings related to building EXEs and building Installers.  In the EXE Properties you can choose which languages your application claims to support and a default one to use, so that the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine will return LabVIEW strings in that language (strings like LabVIEW menu items or built-in LabVIEW dialogs, etc).  In the Installer Builder you can choose which language the dialogs that make up your installer will be in, but nothing about what language installers are being included.  Neither of which will change what languages get included in the installers for the Additional Installers, most of our installers are a single installer supporting multiple languages anyway.

The files you are seeing on disk are the NI License agreements and the MSI Transform files.  When the installer runs regardless of the language you set for the dialogs, it will display the appropriate NI License Agreement (if available, other wise it will show the default one for language of the dialogs).  Also while the installer is running it will change logic based on what language your OS is in order to install properly, that is what the transform files do.  So they are necessary and can't be removed.

The easiest way to make your installer smaller so it is easier to download is to zip it  I just tried it on an installer I built in 8.2 and it went from 64.7 MB on disk to 51.4 MB.  The other option is to not include the Run-Time Engine and refer your customers to our web site to download it.  There will still be some language files in your installer though.

Kennon
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,404 Views)