LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Builder Instructions?

Where can I find step by step instructions for building an application for LabVIEW ver 6.0? The notes that came with it only define the differences from ver 5.1 which I never used. There are troubleshooting discussions ad nauseum, but where are some straightforward instructions for using this beast?
Bob
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,605 Views)
Open help (F1) and then in "Index" search for "stand-alone applications". The subsection you want is "building". One note, the name of the executable needs to have ".exe" in it because it takes it literally as what you want the prog to be called.

Hope this helps.
Naveen
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,605 Views)
I've already been through the help files and they offer many more choices but nothing tells me which tabs to choose. There are only more cryptic choices. Where can I find the user manual for this software? That is what I really want even if I have to buy it. The help files do not list a step by step procedure for someone who has never used this software before. Does such a procedure exist or is this pretty much a trial and error thing?
Bob
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,605 Views)
I don't know of any tutorials, but I felt that the application builder was fairly intuitive. There are 4 main steps. If I have missed the point of what you want to know then please let me know. If you have some specific questions about how to do something feel free to ask. I am running 6.1 right now, but can remember mostly what the 6.0 app builder was like (there have been a few changes).

1) Pick an output file name and destination on the "Target" tab.
2) Select the VI from the "Source Files" tab. You have to select a top level VI and have the option for adding dynamic VI's (loaded at runtime) and other support files, like maybe a readme file.
3) Customize any VI's you want in the "VI Settings" tab. Bassically change the defaults for any
visible VI's, like your main GUI.
4) Setup any installer options on the last tab "Installer Options" if you want to have an installer generated for your application.

Naveen
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,605 Views)
>>but I felt that the application builder was fairly intuitive.
Yeah, well, anything is easy once you know how to do it. I'm happy it is intuitive for you but that doesn't help me.
I've found someone who had agreed to take my programs and run them through Application Builder for only $100 per program, and to me that's a bargain. I won't have to worry about where to find all those driver files and try to find the runtime engine and then try to figure out where it goes. This guy has a program that will put it all together so that when the user clicks on setup.exe it'll install everything into the user's computer ready to run. I think many LabVIEW would love to have a utility that would do this.
Bob
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,605 Views)
The application builder will create an installer. Many of the driver files will be obtained automatically as well, but I think you'd have to just try it to find out. Getting dynamically loaded VI's into the application can be harder unless someone has been nice enough to place stubs for those VI's in another VI, creating a single VI to add as dynamically loaded. But, as you stated, tracking them down can be time consuming.

If you would like to keep a discussion going about how to use app builder I am willing to help. Granted, I don't know what your build deadlines like, but you can drop me a line on this thread or email me at naveen.malik@silicon-wirelss.com.

Regards,
Naveen
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,605 Views)