LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application 800 x 600 resolution touch screen

Solved!
Go to solution

I am building an application that will be installed on a touch screen computer.  The touch screen I have on hand is a 800 x 600 resolution screen.  I believe I can get the front panel to fit this.  Does anyone have experience that installing an application to a low resolution monitor like this would cause problems?  Should I just buy a new touchscreen tablet?

Thanks for the advice.

metzler CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,879 Views)

Hi metzler,

design your frontpanel to fit on this small 800×600 pixel resolution - and you will be fine!

(Think about using bigger than default buttons…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 9
(2,877 Views)

You will have problems if you didn't design your front panel to be able to be resized. Use splitter bars!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,872 Views)

Hi Paul,

why do you want to resize the front panel when the hardware sets a fixed resolution requirement?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 9
(2,867 Views)

My assumption is the development machine will have a different resolution - in my experience attempting to develop the front panel on one resolution, with the goal of it looking correct on another is usually a very tedious, annoying back and forth process to get it right (even if you set your monitor resolution to match). Then, if the hardware changes, you get to repeat the process. If you haven't started on the UI yet, building it to be re-sizable isn't difficult, and avoids the entire headache. 

Message 5 of 9
(2,857 Views)

When you say 'building it to be re-sizeable', are you referring to the VI Properties>Window Size, and the check boxes 'maintain proportions...' and 'Scale all objects...', or something else in particular.

Thanks.

metzler CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,815 Views)

No, I was referring to using splitter bars to separate the front panel into panes that can then be adjusted by manually resizing the window. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,808 Views)
Solution
Accepted by metzler

I've done this with NI's touch panel computers and monitors a number of times. Just set the front panel resolution to 800x600 (VI Properties -> Window Size -> Minimum Width & Height), then size the window as small as you can until it reaches the minimum size you just set. Make sure controls are a finger friendly size (knowing the pixel dot pitch can help here) and that's really it.

If you know your application will be run on different resolution screens in future then it's worth looking into splitters and making it resizable, but even then only if you have usefully resizable elements like graphs and tables on the front panel. If it's only ever going to be a fixed resolution just target that size.

The only tedium I've encountered with different developer vs target resolutions isn't in the resolution itself, but different host OS fonts and scaling (Windows / Linux RT / Windows CE / Mac OSX / etc).

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
Message 8 of 9
(2,787 Views)
Solution
Accepted by metzler

Even if the panel has a fixed size now, development on your own PC might be anoying. Also, in a few years finding a replacement that fits the resolution will narrow the choises, if this is even considered. If not, a can of worms opens, and a simple tasks turns out costing lots of money.

If you want your FP to adjust, have a look at this library, or the GDevCon YouTube video about it: https://github.com/Carya-Automatisering/Dynamic-Scaling.

I use this library succesfully, but then again, I made it...

Message 9 of 9
(2,779 Views)