From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Append a frame to an existing AVI

I do timelapse imaging, that is each minute I grab an image from a camera and save it as a tif file. In addtion I also write an avi movie with these images.

Here is the problem:

I want to be able to also watch the AVI with vlcplayer WHILE the timelapse runs.

To achieve this I somehow must be able to open the existing avi, append a frame and then close the avi. Unfortunately once I close the avi there is no way to open it and just append a frame. Instead the old avi is overwritten.

How do this?

Reading the old avi and then rewriting it in its entirety is not possible because the movies become quite big and that would take way too long.

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,514 Views)

Hey rhauschild,

as far as I know, it is not possible with NI Vision to append an image to an existing AVI file without to load the whole file.

If you need this for your applicatin, you have to use an external tool to stitch multiple avi-files to one.

AVI Joiner - software to join AVI video files, join movie
http://www.brizsoft.com/avijoin/

Looks promising for your needs.

Regards, Stephan

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,486 Views)