From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App works in 95,98 and serial comm is balky in XP, rest of app is OK

Does the communication sometimes work?
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(1,281 Views)
Upgrade your version of LabVIEW. LabVIEW 4.0 and it's serial port driver were developed a long time ago and while Win95/98 retained some backwards compatability with the older 16-bit OS's, Win 2K and XP are 32-bit only. The first version of LabVIEW that NI tested with XP was version 6.1 and there have been a huge number of changes made from 4.0 to 6.1, let alone the most current version.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(1,281 Views)
Yes, the delay indication only happens anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds or as long as 5+ minutes.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(1,281 Views)
As I indicated we are having problems reading the original code on zip disks. Upgrading Labview basically means starting from scratch. We are trying our best to avoid that expense, if possible just because of XP.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(1,280 Views)
Just to keep you up-to-date, I'm still asking around.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(1,280 Views)
OK - This is a long shot, but if you used the native serial vi's in the original program then you may be able to use a newer version of the serial driver (serpdrv). I've attached the serpdrv file from LabVIEW 6.1.

1) Backup serpdrv from your application directory
2) Copy the attached serpdrv file into your application directory
3) Execute your application and see if it makes a difference.

Unfortunately, without the source code it is extremely difficult to evaulate, let alone debug the program. However, if you do end up having to rewrite your code in LV7 you'll at least have some tools such as the I/O assistant which will make the task much easier than when
it was written in LV4.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,279 Views)
Another idea: XP has a compatibility mode which will run applications as if the OS was 95, NT, or 98/Me.

Here is some info on configuring XP from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/appcompat.asp

Its probably worth given this a shot if the serpdrv file replacement doesn't work (make sure you copy the original serpdrv file back if that fix doesn't help).
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(1,279 Views)
I've tried both the compatibility mode by checking the win 95 and win 98 boxes with no success. I will review to see if there are advanced settings.
The other servpdrv files did not work at all.. no communication.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(1,277 Views)