LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have the 2012 setup util for RIO Eval Kit? Also, question on simulating FPGA

If anyone has the 2012 version of the DVD that comes with the RIO Evaluation Kit, could you please upload the setup utility, so that I can get the 2012 firmware onto the RIO board? I've attached the 2011 version, so you can see what I'm talking about. But I have the 2012 FPGA module so when I try to run my project, I get the conflict resolution dialog saying "Access denied: This target is running a version of LabVIEW Real-Time that is different that the Real-Time Module software on the host computer. You can verify the version and reinstall the Real-Time software using Measurement & Automation Explorer." 

I didn't find the device in MAX though, rather than reboot I think it would be easier if there was a 2012 version of that setup utility. This webpage has the tutorials for 2012 but not the setup utility: https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/labview-rio-evaluation-kit?view=documents

I'm also trying to simulate the FPGA target as per these instructions: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/F466AD83D24F041D8625714900709583

I added the new target and changed the FPGA VI so it runs on the development computer with simulated I/O:

The project compiles fine, but when I try to run it the conflict window shows "Failed to connect to real-time target" as shown below. Does this mean I have to move the RT and FPGA VIs to the new target? (the bottom one) Also, I think it's strange that it's showing a conflict with RT-Host Shared Variables.lvlib because I didn't use any of those variables. (I think all instances are disabled.) I guess I should remove the library from the project. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,880 Views)

Hello count3r5tr1ke,

The LabVIEW 2012 SP1 LabVIEW RIO Eval kit Setup utility will be released with the kit shortly following the overall LabVIEW 2012 SP1 release. At this time, to see your board in MAX and be able to put 2012 firmware on the RIO board you will need to make sure you have the NI-RIO 12.0 driver on your development computer to be compatible with LabVIEW 2012.Go to ni.com/drivers and search for the NI-RIO 12.0 version that is compatible with your OS.

Do you also have the LabVIEW Real-Time 2012 module? If so, then please follow these instructions to add the 2012 firmware/software to the target, p.4 of Getting Started with the LabVIEW Real-Time Module.

For the simulation, I think that article led you in the wrong direction, you do not need to have two sbRIO targets in your project. The LabVIEW FPGA Help Tutorial, Creating Test Benches, more comprehensively walks through simulating on the dev computer either random I/O data or a custom VI on the FPGA of your existing target. The error you are getting is tied to network connectivity, so first resolve the above issue. The shared variables could still be showing up if you deployed them to the target when running the initial application. If you don't use them, feel free to delete it. 

I hope this helps!

Deborah Y. 

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 2 of 16
(3,851 Views)

Thanks for these instructions, they help a lot. The RIO drivers are already installed. I restarted everything but still don't see the RIO in MAX. I looked under "Devices and Interfaces" and "Network Devices" but it's just blank.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,832 Views)

I tried connecting the RIO through a router, as well as connecting it directly with a crossover cable. But I was able to deploy using the router before (when using 2011). 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,825 Views)

May be time to try PuTTY to get the IP Address from the cRIO's console output directly. Once you get the IP Address of the RIO, you can put your PC on the same subnet (which will let you detect it in MAX).

EDIT: FYI, it should show up under 'Remote Systems'.

Cheers!

TJ G
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,818 Views)

Thanks, but the RIO doesn't have an RS-232 connector. It has a female USB socket, and Ethernet. 

Since I have RT 2012, I should be able to use NI Web-Based Configuration and Monitoring. The 2011 RIO setup utility tells me the IP address. So I type in xxx.xxx.xx.xxx:3580 and it gives me two links:

(Dir) National Instruments 

(Dir) Main Application Instance

I click on the first one, it gives me the following: (I click on it each time. Arrows indicate that it goes to a separate screen.)
NI-RPC --> (Dir) Interface --> then it gives 4 long strings on the same screen, I click on each one and it gives the mappings. The mappings are not links though.

f52d0817-1176-427c-9637-ae177aebd682 --> Mapping=62602
158513d1-adcb-11d3-aa08-005004d131ee --> Mapping=51700
6063d211-7756-476d-a6c5-8089027e181a  --> Mapping=1034
2e249b55-99e2-4a3d-98bf-8d45fd492bf7 --> Mapping=1034

If I try clicking "Main Application Instance" instead, I get the following: 

RTServiceName --> Port=3079

(Again, the last one is not a link.)

Edit: There's nothing under Remote systems either. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,801 Views)

The computer and RIO should be on the same subnet, because they are both directly connected to the same router. The computer is at 192.168.111.x, and the RIO is at 192.168.10.xxx. The 168 is the subnet, right? 

Well, I changed the computer to 192.168.10.yy so they should definitely be on the same subnet. But still the same behavior.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,790 Views)

Hello count3r5tr1ke,

It is recommended to have similar IP addresses like 192.168.111.xx and 192.168.111.yy but the subnet mask is actually a different number. It also is composed of four three-digit numbers where each can be between 0-255 and it is the neighborhood where IP addresses recognize each other. If two items are in different local subnets they will not be able to communicate.

This is an example from MAX once you see your device, on the Network Settings tab, note the separate value for the subnet mask:

max subnet.PNG

And then on Windows (Control Panel>Network Sharing Center>Manage Adapter Settings, right click on your selected Local Area Connection>Click on IPV4 and select Properties) you can configure the subnet to be the same: 

WIN subnet.PNG

And just for reference, here is the link to the LabVIEW RIO Evaluation Kit FAQ.

-Deborah Y.

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,784 Views)

My subnet mask on the computer is 255.255.255.0. Unfortunately, I still can't see the RIO in MAX in order to find out what I should change the computer's subnet mask to.
When using 2011, I was able to do all the stuff in the FAQ. Now I'm trying to use it with 2012, but I didn't uninstall the 2011 modules. Unless they get automatically uninstalled when the 2012 modules are installed.

I also tried creating a new remote system in MAX but it gives me a message, "Unable to initialize connection to remote target(s)."

The FAQ also says, "If you are still not successful in connecting with your RIO evaluation hardware, you can see the current status and IP address of the device by enabling serial console out. For this process you need a serial cable adapter for the headers on your evaluation hardware and a serial cable (both not included in your kit) to connect between the serial port on the target and your host computer. Since these components are not included for more information on how to proceed please contact NI support at ni.com/ask ."

I think this process is what T-Rex was referring to. I was able to find the IP address, though, through the 2011 setup utility. Assuming that's the correct address.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,776 Views)

Will you please do two things for me as further trouble-shooting steps?

1. Reset the MAX configuration data: In MAX, go to Tools>>Reset Configuration Data this will clear out much of the data in your MAX configuration, but if you're just getting started, this shouldn't be an issue.
  2. Post a MAX technical report here. It will give me a full list of the NI software on your system, as the installation order (and any errors that occurred). Its all just an html report, so please look through it to make sure you're comfortable posting the info here (its pretty common, so I doubt it will be an issue)
Cheers!

TJ G
Message 10 of 16
(3,755 Views)