From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any difference between the "Subtraction" function and Decrement function?

Solved!
Go to solution

This is just an idle curiosity - is there a difference at any level whether you use  the decrement function to subtract vs. the actual subtraction function?  In tight quarters (and for small subtraction values) it's tempting to line up decrement functions to perform the desired subtraction.  Is there any detriment to doing this over using the actual subtraction function?

thanks,

jimmy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,122 Views)
Solution
Accepted by jamoore84
Well, it would be slower -- but not by too much.
-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

Message 2 of 6
(3,117 Views)

MattBradley wrote:
Well, it would be slower -- but not by too much.

I benchmarked it out of curiosity, see attached VI.  They are pretty much instantaneous, for the case of 10 decrements (this difference may grow with a larger difference 100, 1000..., but even using 10 decrements erases you real estate gain from not using the subtraction function).

Message 3 of 6
(3,088 Views)

Increasing it to 100 decrements makes it take 16 times longer than the subtract function (verses 8x with 10 decrements).

I'm waiting for a test to run, so I had the time...  :smileytongue:

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 4 of 6
(3,059 Views)

jmcbee wrote:

They are pretty much instantaneous,

The reason they are so fast is because of "constant folding", so very little computation is actually talking place (most calculations got done at compile time!). As it stands, the benchmark is totally meaningless.

You need to replace your diagram constants with controls and modify the code until all fuzzy wires and fuzzy structures have disappeared.

Try it, it's not that easy. 😉

With N=10000000, x=y=10, the times go from 0.05, 0.05, 0.05 (your code) to the more realistic 0.16, 0.71, 0.94 (code without folding).

Of course you also want to disable debugging (for a result of 0.16, 0.70, 0.81), because you want to measure the math, not the debugging overhead. As you can see, a FOR loop benefits more from disabling debugging than a simple subtract. Seems reasonable.

Happy benchmarking. 😄

Message 5 of 6
(3,035 Views)

altenbach wrote:

jmcbee wrote:

They are pretty much instantaneous,

The reason they are so fast is because of "constant folding", so very little computation is actually talking place (most calculations got done at compile time!). As it stands, the benchmark is totally meaningless.

You need to replace your diagram constants with controls and modify the code until all fuzzy wires and fuzzy structures have disappeared.

Try it, it's not that easy. 😉

With N=10000000, x=y=10, the times go from 0.05, 0.05, 0.05 (your code) to the more realistic 0.16, 0.71, 0.94 (code without folding).

Of course you also want to disable debugging (for a result of 0.16, 0.70, 0.81), because you want to measure the math, not the debugging overhead. As you can see, a FOR loop benefits more from disabling debugging than a simple subtract. Seems reasonable.

Happy benchmarking. 😄

Thank you very much for the info!  I appreciate the crash course in benchmarking.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,000 Views)