LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antenna Radiation Pattern in 3D

Hello..

I want to draw Antenna radiation pattern in Labview.

In Polar Plot VI, it is done, but it is a 2D plot.

How to turn it into 3D? Please Help.

Refer these images to compare..

2D Plot..                                                                                                                                           3D Plot..

Message 1 of 34
(12,189 Views)

By Mistake the Images were not attached..

These are the images..

2D to 3D:

2D to 3D 2.png

Message 2 of 34
(12,162 Views)

hi Nayan,

for any 3D plot you need to have 3 axis data. Now once you have that its prety simple to plot it. Refer to 3D contour plot.vi and 3D surface plot.vi in the labview examples.

Best Regards

Regards
Message 3 of 34
(12,130 Views)

Thanks..

I have 2D data (i.e Phase Vs Magnitude).

I can plot it as a 2D polar plot.

As you said that I need a 3rd Diamension, What would it be?

I saw examples, and tried to put my data, but each time the 3D graph was Uneven.

Can you suggest something.

Here I have attached my VI and a CSV file to read.

Download All
Message 4 of 34
(12,126 Views)

can you change the vi to version 12 or below as I dont have LV13

Regards
Message 5 of 34
(12,115 Views)

@Nayan wrote:

Thanks..

I have 2D data (i.e Phase Vs Magnitude).

I can plot it as a 2D polar plot.

As you said that I need a 3rd Diamension, What would it be?

I saw examples, and tried to put my data, but each time the 3D graph was Uneven.

Can you suggest something.

Here I have attached my VI and a CSV file to read.

I think you really need to rotate the antenna 90 degrees and take another set of 2D data or take 3D data from the start.

I can not imagine any antenna type that is going to have a nice round radiation pattern that is equal both vertical and horizontal like you want to show, except maybe a helical.

Most antenna radiation patterns are going to be wide on one axis and flat(er) on the other. That is why as frequency increases antenna polarity begins to matter more and more.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 6 of 34
(12,093 Views)

Yep, no cheating.  What you are doing is like taking a slice of earth at the equator and saying that the rest of the earth is exactly the same.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 7 of 34
(12,078 Views)

To nolsqn,

I have attached the VI in LV12.

To RTSLVU,

I dont want exactly the same Pattern that was shown in the image, It was just to show what kind of thing I want to do.

I just want a 3D pattern. 

I dont know how to give data so that to have a 3D pattern.

I only have 2D data and I cannot do the rotation or any further steps to have a 3D data.

So I will need to have a fake data.

What kind of data will help me to have such kind of patterns. (means how to arrange the data in arrays, matrices etc.)

Message 8 of 34
(12,054 Views)

hey nayan, 

sorry for the late reply. Actually I would use the matrix form as I find it easy to use and understand while working with 3-D stuff. So I edited some of the things in ur VI , have a look at them. Now I dont remember much details about rediation patterns but what I recal is that normally the reading of radiation patterns are in spherical cordinate and needs to be converted into cartesion cordinate before ploting 3D graph. 

Regards
Message 9 of 34
(12,010 Views)

Hello, I need to do exaclty this but I have multiple Magnitude and Angle plots (Files). Has anyone done a Radiation Pattern with multiple data files? If anyone can offer some suggestions please let me know. I will try to modify the above vis to work with multiple data files.

Thanks,

joe

Message 10 of 34
(11,958 Views)