cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analog outputs toggle with usec overlap

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Users

I'm using a cdaq 9188 and NI 9263 analog output. I want to make a sequence of signals that toggle from H to L (or L to H) e.g. 10V with few usec overlapping. By default the overlapping is around 200usec by code as shown below. I can only set the SimultaneousAOEnable with the DAmx Timing property that reduces to zero overlap of course. Any way to adjust to e.g 10usec ?

Powerboost_0-1607443039512.png

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,095 Views)

What exactly do you mean by "overlapping"?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,072 Views)

Hi 

By overlapping mean that pulses will be "on"/High at the same time for very short period. I show an example below

Powerboost_0-1607500967286.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,047 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Powerboost

Hi Powerboost,

@Powerboost wrote:

I'm using a cdaq 9188 and NI 9263 analog output. I want to make a sequence of signals that toggle from H to L (or L to H) e.g. 10V with few usec overlapping. By default the overlapping is around 200usec by code as shown below. I can only set the SimultaneousAOEnable with the DAmx Timing property that reduces to zero overlap of course. Any way to adjust to e.g 10usec ?

Did you read the datasheet of the NI9263? It allows "100kS/s per channel"…

To have pulses "overlap" for 10µs this would result in just one sample at 100kS/s! All you need to do is to define your signals accordingly. (Just a "few µs" will not be possible with just 100kS/s.)

I strongly recommend to change the DAQmxWrite mode to "N channels N samples"! With "N channels 1 sample" you NEVER will get anywhere near that 100kS/s sample rate…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,044 Views)

Thanks a lot for your reply. I understand that "100kS/s per channel" specification means that I cannot update the output of the DAC more frequent than 10usec, therefore overlap less than 10us is not possible.

In the end, following your suggestion of using N samples I managed to achieve the single toggle event I was looking for, by defining the sample rate to max. possible and with an array for the outputs for each channel. 

Thanks again for your advice 😊

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,034 Views)