LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analog output without creating a NI-DAQmx task

My vi uses a PCI-6733 analog output board to implement an 8 channel function generator and data logger. Each of the channels can be independently set for single point or multipoint ramp waveform outputs.

It worked fine using Traditional NI-DAQ using the AO Config, AO Write and AO Start vis.

I am implementing it on a new system running Windows 7 and Labview 2010. Apparently, Traditional NI-DAQ 7.4.4 is not supported in Windows 7, so I am attempting to convert the analog output to NI-DAQmx. The DAQ assistant gave me code for N samples that works but waits (DAQmx Wait Until Done.vi) until the waveform completes. Since the waveform may consist of 8000 samples over 30 seconds, I can't wait. If I remove the wait, I also have to do something with DAQmx Clear Task.vi. This is becoming very complex.

Is there an alternate way to write to the board without creating a task, similar to the way it was done in Traditional?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,275 Views)

No.  You have to create a task.  It is the connection between what you want to do and the board.

You do not have to wait for the waveform to complete.  And you don't have to clear the task until your VI is done,  What code have you written so far?  Have you looked at the numerous DAQmx examples in the Example Finder under Help?  I'm sure one of those more closely matches what you want to do.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,271 Views)

I tried leaving the task open. The problem I ran into was that after creating a task with an 8000 N-sample buffer, if I then want to change to a single point output I have to close the task and create another, otherwise I get errors. I can probably get there eventually, but it will take a lot more code.

Haven't checked the examples. I'll give that a try.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,267 Views)