From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amplifying Type K Thermocouple for high temp reading with USB 6008

Solved!
Go to solution

I am attempting to amplify a type K thermocouple so that the signal can be read somewhat accurately by a USB-6008. I have looked at the AD595 chip but it states a maximum useful temperature of 100 C and I am going to need to be reading up to 700 C. 

Is there another amplifier chip that would work up to this temperature, or should I resign myself to using the signal unamplified and getting a very inaccurate (~30 C/division) reading for temperature?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,228 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Homericus

The AD595 has a range of -200C to 1250C, here is the data sheet:

http://www.mne.psu.edu/sommer/me445/AD595.pdf

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
Message 2 of 5
(3,210 Views)

The amplifier itself has an operating temperature range to 125 degrees. Perhaps you confused that with the thermocouple temperature range?

Lynn 

Message 3 of 5
(3,205 Views)
Bleh, I feel pretty silly now, especially because I looked over the data sheet a number of times before posting. I was in fact assuming the operating temperature limits as the effective readout temperature limits. Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,195 Views)

A heads up- some people have ran into issues using the chip with the USB-600x devices, various solutions. You may want to browse of these posts ahead of time:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/search?board_id=170&submitted=true&q=AD595

-AK2DM

"It’s the questions that drive us.”
Message 5 of 5
(3,187 Views)