From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow Rotate 1D Array in SCTL with constant n

If n is constant, it should be a wiring operation and it shouldn't require multiple itterations so it should be allowed in a SCTL.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,836 Views)

I just noticed I posted this in the wrong forum. Mods, can you move this to FPGA?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,832 Views)

Use the Option link next to your message and Report to Moderator to request that it be moved.

I'd also suggest that you add some more detail to your post.  Perhaps even an image as to what you are talking about.  It would go a long way in clarifying what you are talking about and in selling your idea to entice people to kudo it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,811 Views)

That's good feedback RavensFan. To clarify, currently, if you use rotate 1D array in a single cycle timed loop, you get an error like this:

rotate array.PNG

I don't think there's any fundamental reason why that shouldn't be allowed. It was probably disallowed incase someone wired a control into the n terminal at the top.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,804 Views)

It is probably because rotating an array is computationally expensive, and might not be guarenteed to execute in the given time.

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,800 Views)

Mythilt, in an FPGA (which is what this idea is actually for) a rotate with a constant for the number of elements to rotate should be nothing more than a routing issue.  No computations needed.  Admittedly, it probably is because of the non-constant rotations that it is not allowed inside of a SCTL.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,794 Views)

It should be equivalent to something like this which is a pure wiring operation and is allowedrotate with array.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,792 Views)

Interesting, I did not know that FPGAs handled arrays that much differently.  Have to do some reading on that.  Makes sense due to the limitations of their embedded nature.

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,782 Views)