LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All LabVIEW retirees! Would you please post the most amazing LabVIEW code you've ever written ?

Let's see your top notch LabVIEW code. HAHAH 😀

Leave us with something to remember. lol

Let's goooo!!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(1,813 Views)

My most amazing is way to big to post (and proprietary).

But there is this.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 2 of 17
(1,803 Views)

Though not retired the code I am most proud of is proprietary and too large to post. One area where we have made significant progress is in the use of PPLs. Within our system we have 204 PPLs consisting of 99 reuse library PPLs and 105 plugins. The library PPLs consist of a dependency hierarchy 8 levels deep. This was no easy task to complete. In fact NI came to us to discuss our process and methodology given our success in developing and maintaining this set of code.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 3 of 17
(1,755 Views)

Same here. Not retired and a lot of my work is very proprietary and can't be posted without everybody here first signing an NDA! 😁

What is not proprietary I have usually posted somewhere already, such as in the OpenG Toolkit.

Also I'm not sure where I would have to start. In nearly 30 years of LabVIEW programming there were a lot of programs that I was proud off at that time.

- The LabVIEW HTTP server back in 1995 when I was still an Application Engineer at NI Switzerland?

Not very useful in hindsight and by nowadays standards a terrible hack on many levels, but hey it could serve HTML pages that you could watch on a Netscape Browser. And it had even an animated Netscape icon on its front panel whenever it was serving a page!!

image.png

- A complete datalogger and according data viewer with multiple modes in around 1998-2002 (LabVIEW 4 to LabVIEW 6)

It cost me many sleepless nights and a lot of work and sweat but it actually worked and had an universal IO server interface that one could plug in specific IO servers for all kind of hardware. By nowadays standards a terrible hack but at that time VI Server was still in its infancy and many LabVIEW functions were not yet available. One of my main challenges was the customer expectations in terms of UI look. LabVIEW had no custom menus initially but they wanted that, so I hacked it with drop down boxes and that did almost look like but not exactly behave like a standard menu. Graphs could not have multiple Y axis. And the favorite, there was no Undo!!!

Also they were in fact a Linux devotee and felt very bad about that we could not make the application work on Linux. LabVIEW for Linux only got a rumor around 2000 and wasn't really available until about labVIEW 7.

There were many many more. Mostly all kinds of libraries, which I like to do most. Especially if it involves interfacing to external code in the form of shared libraries (DLL, SO). 😁

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 4 of 17
(1,680 Views)

I think it would be more interesting to post code you're NOT proud of.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 5 of 17
(1,643 Views)

Originally seen Here(dot VI) 

Look ma NO Code!   And I mean it

Here.vi contains empty FP, BD and Con pane and its icon is an attention glyph.  Absolutely worthless right?  here is one use case.

Untitled.png

When starting a project we all start from our VITs right? New... (Hey now that the new.. from browser opens fast its not so painful) And create our shell code with documentation.  Drop Here.vi and give youself a reminder about what you are going to do later....

Because its in vi.lib Here vi can be filtered on or off in the heirarchy view! and finding all instances is a snap- Not found- you are done with the code and ready for peer review-----BUT Wait! There's more. Like a infomercial salesman I'm going to DOULBE the offer.

Here.vi is also the best code review tool in existance! Why drop the review notes on paper- where you can forget them?

Address the review comments right on the vi at the location and drop Here.vi.  The developer responsible has instant access to the comments and locations of every hit and can use the comments to write the review report deleting Here .vi as we go along. 

Clean-up is a SNAP Here.vi is even dishwasher safe

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 6 of 17
(1,551 Views)

I see how that would be useful, but what does that accomplish that the Bookmark Manager doesn't? Other than me forgetting that it exists all the time, of course 😉

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(1,536 Views)

@BertMcMahan wrote:

I see how that would be useful, but what does that accomplish that the Bookmark Manager doesn't? Other than me forgetting that it exists all the time, of course 😉

Look at the date on the post.  There were no such things as attached comments or Bookmarks (much less a bookmark manager) when I shared Here.vi.  It had been written years earlier than even that post.  Of course,  LabVIEW 2012 came out later that same year and included Bookmarks as a feature that hadn't been seen on the beta.  I've always kinda wondered if the BM feature was originally internally developed to support beginning work on the shipping examples revision rolled out with 2013 and pulled forward after my post about Here.vi

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(1,520 Views)

Welp, yeah of course I forgot to look at the date! (slaps forehead)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(1,454 Views)

If you ever have the pleasure of working a lot with serial instrumentation I found this vi that I wrote long ago to be indispensable. It closes all open com ports without getting out of LabVIEW.  Not that I am retired yet.

Buddy Haun
Certified Trainer, Former Alliance Member, LabVIEW Champion
Message 10 of 17
(1,431 Views)