LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent E3631A Power Supply Labview Drivers Not Working

Hi there, so I am trying to utilize the drivers for the Agilent E3631A power supply. I have downloaded the drivers from this link (http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=0475216F9FCA5335E0440003BA7CCD...) and have downloaded the Labview 2018 version. I have tried using the drivers, but they dont work.

I have been trying to use the example Agilent E363X Series Output DC Volts to change the voltage of my power supply. The power supply is connected to my computer using a GPIB connection, with a USB to GPIB connector to plug into my computer. I have the correct COM 6 port selected, because I have been able to send direct commands such as VOLT 5 and OUTP ON to the power supply and it responds (used a Prologix GPIB sample code I found to do so). I know in each of the VI's within the driver there is an option in the code to change it from Serial to GPIB (which I did for all the VI's, but I still get an error returned). The error I am receiving is -1074003951. Even when I go into all the VI's and change them to GPIB from Serial, I am still getting the Error from the Error Query VI, which is normally included in all of the other VI's. It occurs at the Visa Write, but I am just not sure why. I believe if I resolve this then the drivers will work correctly and I can utilize them.

I have attached two sample pictures of how the code lets you select Serial/GPIB etc. I changed all the ones I could find to GPIB. I also attached where it says the error occurs when running the Example VI.

Any help would be much appreciated, I need these drivers to work for a school project.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(3,422 Views)

Hello,

In the images you have attached I could see that is throwing error while initialize. And the enum constant is changed to GPIB. But the true case is still the same for serial with same settings. If you had changed the serial to GPIB in enum constant. Then the original false case should execute for GPIB.

Thanks & Regards,
Bharath Kumar
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23
(3,383 Views)

Hey thanks for responding. So in the GPIB picture I attached, I didnt run it (so thats why it still shows the Serial/True even though the GPIB is selected. When I run it it turns False. Ill attach a picture. If thats what you mean. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(3,367 Views)

I don't understand what you are saying.

Your pictures show two different VIs.  Both show the true case showing identical code.

In GPIB option, if Intf Type= GPIB.  the true case runs.

In Serial option INtfType = Serial, the true case runs.  Those True cases are identical.  Your True case shows property nodes for "Serial Interface".  It says it on the label.

So why did you create a different VI where the constant was changed to GPIB?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(3,361 Views)

Ok, so the first picture is of the Output DC Volts VI example. It is to show the error I am getting when trying to change the voltage. In these two pictures I am re-attaching, it is to show that in each of the VI's you can select either Serial or GPIB. These pictures attached are part of the Initialize VI (which is within the Output DC Volts VI). Even when I went into each of the VI's and selected GPIB instead of Serial, I am still receiving the error shown in the Output DC Volts VI picture from earlier. The error seems to be returning from the Error Query VI, which is within things like the Initialize VI and Output Volts VI etc. I am unsure why though, since I selected GPIB on all the options. Not sure if there is something else I am missing. Let me know if I am still not making it clear. Thanks!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(3,320 Views)

I am reposting this because my other post would not let me answer the replies. I clarified my question here a bit.

Hi there, so I am trying to utilize the drivers for the Agilent E3631A power supply. I have downloaded the drivers from this link (http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=0475216F9FCA5335E0440003BA7CCD...) and have downloaded the Labview 2018 version. I have tried using the drivers, but they dont work.

I have been trying to use the example Agilent E363X Series Output DC Volts to change the voltage of my power supply. The power supply is connected to my computer using a GPIB connection, with a USB to GPIB connector to plug into my computer. I have the correct COM 6 port selected, because I have been able to send direct commands such as VOLT 5 and OUTP ON to the power supply and it responds (used a Prologix GPIB sample code I found to do so). I know in each of the VI's within the driver there is an option in the code to change it from Serial to GPIB (which I did for all the VI's, but I still get an error returned). The error I am receiving is -1074003951. Even when I go into all the VI's and change them to GPIB from Serial, I am still getting the error.

I have attached two example pictures to show how each of the VI's within (like Initialize, Error Query, Close etc) allow you to select between Serial and GPIB etc. These pictures are of the Initialize VI. I have changed all of the Serials to GPIB that I could find but I am still getting the error.

The other picture I have attached is showing the error I am getting when running the example Output DC Volts VI. It says the error is coming from the VISA write in the Error Query VI.

Any help would be much appreciated, I need these drivers to work for a school project.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(3,392 Views)

It is not clear to me why you are reposting -- you haven't been very forth-coming in the original post.  I'm going to repeat what I've said numerous times -- if you have a LabVIEW (software) problem, attach the LabVIEW Code, not a picture of a part of the code (which might or might not include the "problem" parts).  If you have an entire Project, it's even better to compress the Project folder and attach the resulting ZIP file (tell us which VIs we should examine, if it isn't obvious).

I promise to not look at your PNGs.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(3,356 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(3,351 Views)

What do you mean by your "changing the option" from GPIB to serial?

Are you clicking on that constant and changing its value?  I really hope that isn't what you are doing, but your pictures you attach make think that is.

If you are doing that, then I suggest you take some LabVIEW tutorials.

LabVIEW Introduction Course - Three Hours
LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(3,340 Views)

That's actually exactly what I'm doing. I've only been using LabVIEW for 2 weeks now. The second link doesn't work (the six hour link). Ill complete the first one, but I've already done a similar tutorial from the National Instruments website. What exactly is wrong with just selecting from GPIB to Serial? The True/False cases change between GPIB/Serial so I figured that that is the only difference within the code. I do not see any other thing that really differentiates the type of input from the machine (GPIB vs. Serial). All the other code seems to be pretty similar with the code I've written to communicate directly with my power supply using commands like CURR 2 and VOLT 5 and OUTP ON etc.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(3,337 Views)